The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: is it possible to replace 3 spd clutch levers & pins without stripping plates?
I've got Woodrow, I've got 750 manual, but despite basic interpretation skills I still can't tell from the books whether I can get these levers out without disassembly... which would seem to be the obvious thing to do for a basic strip down in order to improve clutch action.
What is possible with the minimum intervention please?

I can see if I want to do the little silver steel wedges under the pins, then it might be easier to undo everything... but hoping that there may be clearance just to do the pins and arms.
Jon,
Assuming you have the engine out of the car you are 90% done so why not dismantle the clutch and drill and tap 1/4” BSF in the bottom of the toggle lever grooves in the cover plate, which will give you the facility to set the levers accurately using screws, preferably high tensile, in the tapped holes. Once the screws are set initially then you can remove them and stick in permanently with loctite screwlock. Remove the undersides of the screws so that they don’t protrude into the clutch zone otherwise the clutch will not operate. I haven’t tried the silver steel wedge method. I don’t like the idea of loose wedges in that location.
Cheers,
Dave.
Ok, that seems sensible, thankyou. And I see I would be able to get the toggle pins out then too, assuming you are saying that it's impossible otherwise?
I presume that I'd have to take the clutch material off to change the posts though, so keep that as last resort?
I prefer to use 1/4" Whitworth for the studs. I have seen BSF strip in this location. When tapping the hole I only use a taper tap, leaving it tight for screwing in the stud so that the Loctite is only precautionary.
Jon, leave the posts in unless they are badly worn so no need to remove lining. Robert uses 1/4"BSW so that's OK. Not had trouble with BSF (so far!)
Cheers.
A friend tried the roller trick as in the 750 companion and that worked.I think you can fit these without dismantling the clutch.That's putting in a small dia roller and altering the pivot position.