The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'33 Steering Box
Thank you Ivor, I hope I shall not need it, but...... It has been a treat to follow up on 'engineered' solutions put forward by others, which normally would defeat my skills.
Will this work ok, unless some material has been removed from the original bottom bush and or end of the worm the worm will no longer be central on the wheel.
I thought about this, however the needle roller bearing and two washers is less than 4mm thick, the worm has more than 20mm of thread above and below the wheel, so although it is no longer in the same position it will not materially affect the mesh
If I understand correctly you now have a party worn, and partly unworn section of worm in mesh with the wheel which may mean the worn section is in fact not touching the wheel?
Is there any way you could have kept the worm in its original position?
Hi Zeto,
I understand your point. The wheel will be running on a different part of the worm, this could wear faster and put out the adjustment. To return the worm to its original position one would need to remove the bottom nut and the bottom brass bush and turn about 3.25mm from the face. I have not removed the bush, so I dont know if there is enough material on the face of the bush to do that. I shall try it and see if the steering has been improved first. thank you for the thought though.
I had the problem once where steering would seize as I turned left off a roundabout....embarrassed as mounted pavement first time.  Forewarned was careful and slow round corners till could investigate!!  Box - late type with only 1/3 segment of teeth;  striped and found worm showing some wear - firm in Dorset built up worm and reground to correct profile also gear teeth.  Still had stiffness problems even though box set up on each full lock and aware that there is Austin factory set slack in strait ahead position to allow for taking up future wear (would be mostly wear in ahead position and very little progressively on either lock so if strait ahead wear was taken up then would lock up on either lock).  Thinking firm had done a bad job and used wrong build up metal/method I cursed them and striped box to find worm and teeth were showing NO sign of any wear or marking Blush
Was doing some course work on marine engineering at a college and the Chief engineer said "try using Molyslip grease/ or in the grease".  Steering became delightfully light and easy....one finger steerable. (Big 7 front axle with BMC A heavier engine).  No further 'locking up' experienced thereafter.  Smile

Dennis   (BM7(T) special).
I seem to remember getting shot down in flames on the old forum for suggesting this but I've been using Moly grease in steering boxes for years, it works well and provides smooth steering.

I think back axle oil is correct for the later hourglass boxes though, late Ruby and Big 7. Could add some Molyslip to the oil.....
I promised a report on the steering once back on the road.
Having resolved the engine issues I finally drove the car today. The steering is I am delighted to say lighter when turning left or right, no longer having the stiffness which was causing shoulder ache after 45 minutes driving. It is a little more vague than I had hoped for, however this may be because I was being rather too cautious on adjusting out the free play. I can work on that as it becomes better bedded in. Overall I am content with the improvement, the lightness and the general feel of the steering now and it centres on its own without having altered the castor angle.
I have used Penrite steering box oil, sadly it is leaking from the cover I think, so I will also have to find a solution to this issue, but not before we head off to The Dales in two weeks time.
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, it helped.
I'm between Nidder and Wensley if you're passing...the kettle works
1,000 miles on the clock since the rebuild of the box. I am pleased with the result, the steering is lighter and without any of the tendencies it exhibited previously. I think there is a little more improvement to be had and I will make a small adjustment when the opportunity arises. We drove from Pateley Bridge to Woodstock on Friday in pouring rain and gusty winds, mostly on M roads, 195 miles in 6 hours driving, non of the previous twitchy behaviour and not tiring. I count it as a success.