The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Rolt 3 bearing engine
Is anyone still running a Rolt 3 bearing engine in it's original Rolt form?

I was thinking of resurrecting mine but and I can't remember how Stuart arranged the lubrication system.

Mine has been altered over the years (by me).

As supplied by Stuart it had an overbored Austin oil pump and a remote Crosland 493 oil filter. 

I'm sure the oil gallery was blanked to give a full flow system?

There is a tapping from the oil gallery to the centre camshaft feed via a waisted block/main bearing stud.

How did the oil get to the centre main bearing? Was it from the modified centre camshaft feed?
Can you not ask Stuart?
I would if I knew where he was!
Ping me an email and I'll give you his number
I had a Rolt built 3 bearing Engine in a Speedex a few years ago. ( My father ran it in a 33 Box for a while )
It was completely standard in appearance but it had the centre mains Line Bored in the case with the block bolted down in my memory is correct. ( My Father had the work done in the 1970s /1980s ) It was not a Reliant Crank Conversion.
So I think that there is no single formula for his engines they were done to customers requirements.
I had an interesting conversation with Stuart Rolt this afternoon. It's a long time since we last spoke.

He thinks that he constructed about six Reliant based 3 bearing engines.

Mine was originally built for Kevin Martin.

He mentioned that he also built one for Alan Wragg.

So by my reckoning the original customers were

Kevin Martin
Eddie Marriot
Andy Storer
Alan Wragg
Frank Hernandez
????

Apparently he has recently been in touch with a Nippy owner who has one of his 3 bearing engines fitted.
Glad you made contact Henry, Stuart has probably forgotten more than we will ever know!!
You might be happy to hear that Stuart has already been interviewed for the 'Oral history' section of the Archive web site. The recording is being edited at the moment and will hopefully appear on the web site soon..
(19-02-2021, 12:34 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: I had an interesting conversation with Stuart Rolt this afternoon. It's a long time since we last spoke.

He thinks that he constructed about six Reliant based 3 bearing engines.

Mine was originally built for Kevin Martin.

He mentioned that he also built one for Alan Wragg.

So by my reckoning the original customers were

Kevin Martin
Eddie Marriot
Andy Storer
Alan Wragg
Frank Hernandez
????

Apparently he has recently been in touch with a Nippy owner who has one of his 3 bearing engines fitted.

The Reliant engine supplied to Alan Wragg was fitted into single seater replica AW Mk3 012SR in 1983. Alan decided on this engine as he wanted to use it as a road car, registered 850 MRM. He used the car extensively, even travelling up to Scotland and back - no mean feat. The car has been totally restored and is now in the possession of Adam Wragg, Alan's son. I saw it a couple of month's ago and it looks splendid.
Henry,

I have two of them still running in original form. I also have comprehensive notes on how the work was done - I spend a couple of lengthy sessions with Stuart going through his old notebooks in order to capture the info for posterity. I'll send you my e-mail address via p.m. & will happily attempt any questions you may care to send. Mine's been apart recently for overhaul so it's all fresh in my mind.

Chris