The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Q - best way to remove cam gear?
Keep the nut on, it will protect the threads, and prevent the camshaft flying off somewhere.
Wouldn’t use a puller, at best it will chip the teeth edges.
If your gear has holes in it you could make up a puller and pull using those holes.
This makes me realise how lucky I was when I took my gear off. I just stood it in the vice holding close to the centre but not gripping it with the gear laying on top of the jaws. I left the nut loose on the shaft and gave one sharp tap to break the taper and it came off.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(17-02-2021, 07:07 PM)JonE Wrote: Presses aren't cheap, 

eBay, 12T, £139.99. If you haven't got one, they're a revelation! No more murder with hammers, bruised parts or immovable objects.
Well worth the pennies, I use mine all the time.
(18-02-2021, 12:21 PM)Parazine Wrote:
(17-02-2021, 07:07 PM)JonE Wrote: Presses aren't cheap, 

eBay, 12T, £139.99. If you haven't got one, they're a revelation! No more murder with hammers, bruised parts or immovable objects.
Well worth the pennies, I use mine all the time.

Conversely my 20ton press is rarely used and it spends most of its time taking up space and being an inadequate shelf. So much so that when lockdown ends it's going, and a friend is taking it off my hands. 

Charles
I'm in Parazine's camp on this one. The addtion of a Sealey 10 ton press to the armoury has saved many a component from being destroyed after being flogged within an inch of its life to remove it (I recall brake actuating arms from the end of the cross shaft being the best example). However, the slight advantage I have is it belongs to a pal and is stored in his garage. But I will agree to them being a revelation...
(18-02-2021, 01:17 PM)Charles P Wrote: Conversely my 20ton press is rarely used and it spends most of its time taking up space and being an inadequate shelf. So much so that when lockdown ends it's going, and a friend is taking it off my hands. 

Charles

so is it because you have lots of recently used and oft-opened bits of car so you thus don't have issues? Or what do you use instead?
A press is a pain in the ar*e to store, it gets in the way and gathers dust - until that one time you really need it...
I have a mate who has a press. He uses it for pressing apples to make cider
(18-02-2021, 09:02 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: A press is a pain in the ar*e to store, it gets in the way and gathers dust - until that one time you really need it...

The advantage of it going to a local Austin friend is clear.......
I just take stuff into work, there is a redundant press skulking in the corner of the workshop I hide in, we also have a more modern one in another workshop and a massive 50 tonne one in our machine shop and a nice old surface grinder and a spark eroder.
I still like blocks of hardwood and hammers though. I keep them in the garage and shed.
I also have a selection of nice brass / bronze drifts.
The last cam gear I removed came off with a light tap with a brass drift on the rear face, Genuine Nippy one as well, in fact the whole engine was easy to dismantle and taking the flywheel off was no problem even though it was quite rusty.