The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
patina or polish?
I picked up a little 2 seat tourer a week ago that hadn't been run in 20 years and was in a state of general disassembly and neglect. After spending most of a week working on it (with some help and advice from you knowledgeable people) I've now got nearly everything working! 
To some extent.  
I have yet to road test the car, but the engine runs reasonably well, the clutch works, the gearbox seems to have all the gears it should have, the brakes work to a reasonable level and most electrical things work although I haven't managed to get it charging yet.  I'm hopeful of a test drive later this week if the weather clears up - I have a very steep drive so the little car will need to be fettled into reasonably good health before the blast out of the garage and up the drive backwards - it needs to be done in one action as a hill start in reverse on my drive is not achievable. (It will involve some excitement and a lot of wheelspin if it's anything like the RN saloon I had last year!).

So on to the point of the thread.  When I get it finally working properly I will need to decide if it is preferable to leave it in it's current scruffy state that looks all of it's 90 years, or do I treat it to a nice coat of paint and make it shiny?  It's got scratches and small dents all over, but nothing serious and it has some areas of light surface rust - the wings look to have been coach painted at some time in the past (I've already cleaned and treated underneath). I have the facilities to do bodywork and paint myself so cost isn't necessarily the issue.  I also bought the car with the intention of trying trials so it's going to get new scratches at some point.  I'll get a better outside photo when the weather clears, but this is how it looks at the minute - your thought appreciated..:

Hello,
Thanks for sharing!
I love the "I picked up a little 2 seat tourer a week ago", I'd very much like to "pick up" too!
I would definitely let it in the state it is, apart from all the mechanical and electrical fixes of course.
This is HISTORY and LIFE man! Smile
Renaud (jealous!)
try rubbing the light rust areas with some fine 240 paper and water or oil, and see how it all comes out with a wipe, with a smooth surface. Looks lovely as it is.
I personally would leave it exactly as it is..Far too many cars are needlessly restored when a patina of age is far more appealing.
I agree. Leave it as it is. Give it the "oily rag" treatment.
Drive it and enjoy it, otherwise you will end up with a rebuild in your hands lol
No need for treatment Bruce! That's the trick! Smile
Keeping as it is seems to be the popular choice. I suppose if I keep it as it is I'll always have the option to repaint it, but if I paint it then there's no way back. I'll polish it up a bit as it is and concentrate on getting it right mechanically - that may still have a few surprises for me..
With a three speed box you'll find that reverse is lower than first, so drive in and reverse out, with your steep drive.
And have something to arrest your potential to overshoot on the way back in. Brakes are rarely the 7's finest attribute.
Charles, the brakes work better going backwards though.
Best Wishes