The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holes in sump
Hi All

I’m getting bits ready to build a spare engine and I thought I had a good standard sump.  However it is a bit rusty and has pin holes through it  Sad.

I’ll look out for a better one but anyone got any suggestions as to a repair?

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard,
Plumbers solder is a good repair once its clean
The drain plug is soldered and riveted
I have some spares. PM me if you are interested.
Howard, Dave Dye had some standard depth ally sumps back along, they were very nice, and less than £100. I try to avoid the pressed steel sumps. Best Wishes Gene
After endless problems with pin holes I bought a cast alloy one from Tony Betts.
If engines are left standing for a long time condensation settles to the sump and rusts it through.
Jim
its steel. Use the magic blue light
Hi All

Thanks for the responses.

I would like to keep the tin sump as the engine will probably go in my RK which is mechanically completely original.

Thanks for the offer Robert I may well come back to you.

I’ve decided to have a go at soldering, partly as practice for some fuel tank repairs I need to do.   I have three tanks and two leak!  

Cheers

Howard
If you don’t have any joy I’m sure plenty of people would help you out with a mig welder
Hi Howard, if you are determined to repair this get some solder paint, it is a mixture of solder and flux, you brush it on completely covering the area to be trained then heat with blow lamp or similar the solder will still to the surface and the flux will wash off after.
Needs to be spotlessly clean, strip and clean pad in the drill for that.
BW Gene

See what my iPad did? Should read treated
I suspect the cause is short journeys in which the oil doesn't get hot enough to drive the water off, what they need is a good 100 mile run on a hot day.