The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool bag
I have been using an ex doctors leather bag for my roadside rebuild toolkit for the last 10 years or so, this is perfectly portable, doesn't hurt the interior of the car and can be easily moved from car to car. Unfortunately this is about to expire and can't seem to find a replacement. What do other members use in their cars please?
try the REPAIR SHOP ??
Well if this was the German Hispano Suiza owners forum, the answer would be large leather satchels on the running boards, situated so as not to obscure the Mille Miglia retro stickers.
I have used an ex GPO leather no.3 tool bag for the last 20 years or so with complete satisfaction. It is remarkably capacious. There is one here at what I confess seems to me a rather strong price but at least you can see the idea.

eBay item number: 274643590236

I admit it will hardly contain a hub puller which is where the Gladstone bag wins but it is surprisingly compact once zipped up.

Regards,

Stuart
for many years (i.e. since 1985) I have carried the tools with my classics in military bags either army surplus or repro. Something like this https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1908-small...anvas.html

Recently I've acquired an old French leather plumbers tool bag from a brocante shop so you could try and look at brocante shops who buy their stock in France
Like this one but then an old one of high quality leather https://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/tool-bags...lsrc=aw.ds

or look here https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Vintage-Tool-Ba...7022849995
I use a lady's leather handbag, bought for a couple of pounds at a local charity shop; it took a while to find something that was the right shape and size, but it's a source worth investigating.
Whats wrong with the bag - it is very probably repairable - have you got any pictures?
Stuart Bullen
Nothing so posh for me. I have a canvas type material tool roll for spanner’s screwdrivers pliers etc. Which is complimented with an old biscuit time for larger stuff and a few spares.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I do have a doctor's bag here that just needs a new handle if you could collect it. Depends where you are but write to peterlikeman@gmail.com
The problem with an old Doctors bag or similar is that it is difficult to hide it away in an Austin 7, I use an old Thorntons Toffee tin for the small tools, which tend to be the ones you need, and a simple tool roll for the larger ones.  These fit nicely under the drivers seat out of the way yet are readily accessible.  I also have two shallow shortbread tins under the back seat, one contains gaskets, sealants etc and the other has bits of fuel pipe, linkages, wire, carburettor spares etc etc.
Small plastic trays with compartments and clip on lids are good for small bits and pieces like nuts and bolts, screws, washers etc.  I bought a fishermans tackle bag from Lidl which had about half a dozen such boxes inside, they are scattered throughout the garage.  The bag they came in is useful for a packed lunch.