The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Driving fast in a slow car.
Every morning I get an e-newsletter from my classic insurer, Hagerty.

This morning was, as the title suggests, about going fast in a slow car being way better than going slow in a fast car.

Given that the car in question is an Austin 7, I thought you might enjoy it.

cheers

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-f...tter_NewDD
Many a true word... works on UK roads too. Average speed across Warrington is 16 to 21 miles an hour - with or without traffic as there are so many lights - more fun in a Ferrari or a Seven? Then 38mph in a Seven or briefly 60 then 40mph behind a wagon or caravan (or Austin) down the A49 in a Ferrari? You decide.
The thing I like about vintage/pre war cars is most people now don't have the skill to drive them. Any idiot can drive a supercar. I mean have you watched Top Gear Smile

That said, I am sure fast cars are also fun in their own way. Must be frustrating in NZ as our highest speed limit is usually 100 kph (we have two 110 kph express ways now though I think).

Simon

P.S. Chris Harris has a 2CV which is definitely slow car style so he can't be all bad.
Looking at my average speed on the modern, it is rarely above 20mph. So easily within the scope of any Seven. In the RP a gps speedo reading was often 45+ and was exhilarating  to say the least.
Having driven Lamborginis and Audi R8 on these red letter track days I find driving my (Was) trials Austin 7 special at 50 mph on an average road more exciting than driving them at 100+ on a track.
A slightly strange article for an insurance company who won't cover classic cars for everyday road use!
In the 60s I drove 60 miles in my RP home most weekends. The main road then included many corners comfortable at 40-45 mph and a few much less. The RP would wind out to a genuine 50 and a bit more with wind and grade. It was often at the very limit of its and my roadholding ability. (With hindsight very foolish, despite seat belt) I have never driven anything so challenging since. Although now supplemented with an inherited “modern” I have always run grossly outdated cars. Keeping reasonably up with the moderns was a challenge, especially as converted late to radials. Older cars with good ground clearance, rwd, and narrow tracks superior on the backroads.
Kept me alert and awake and able but made long trips tiring.
There is much to be said for the comfort of larger cars but, with our enforced 100 kph limit, I cannot understand why anyone seeks high performance vehicles, esp as most are hard riding.
A local media identity drives through the city in a Ferrari or somesuch. An RP would be easier to get into.I cannot imagine anything more irrational. I suspect my 1964 car attracts more attention.
The thing about driving an Austin 7 is that you plan your route on roads that are suitable for the car (if you are sensible!).  As well as being far more enjoyable to drive than 'boring' roads, you will likely average a better speed than you would in your modern car.  There are few cars that are as nimble as an Austin 7 through a busy town and they come into their own on narrow, twisting country lanes.
I recall a trip down to the Bicester Heritage site a couple of years ago: I was running down the old A5 parallel to the M1 at 50mph, whilst the M1 traffic was barely doing 40mph. Most satisfying  Big Grin
I agree with Malcolm, the Seven is surprisingly nimble.