The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve cover. Cork sealing strip
Hello to all,  Does anybody have a method or trick of getting the cork sealing strip into the groove around the inner edge of the valve cover plate easily.  I have done this before a long time ago and had forgotten what a fiddle it is.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Today’s thinking is to use round silicon thread. And it works well
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
dab of grease to hold it in place.
The Seven Workshop do a single piece silicone seal, MUCH easier than the old cork ones.
Got one. Very good. Hasn't leaked since I fitted it. Clean everything down with acetone and glue it in place with superglue. Block face needs to be oil free & dry too.
John,

as said above - use one of these, glue in place and fit completely dry.

https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...est-gasket
Aye, Jamie's the man. Bruce is correct about the required cleaning.
Memory tells me that the original seal was made of half round cork strip. I fit the current square cork seal by carefully trimming two adjacent corners at approximately 45degrees. The modified side then fits into the groove of the cover quite well. I then push it into the cover quite firmly so that it stays there and fit the cover to the engine. The seal does need to be trimmed to the right length and I make sure that the two ends meet along the top grove of the cover.

I can’t guarantee complete oil tightness, but then I have not had a Seven engine that was completely continent.
I use Jamie's silicon seal, but only glue the corners to allow some "settling".

I have also modified a later cover to fit my 1929 special engine so that I can use the seal on that - works well!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Thanks for the reply’s I will try David’s removing the corners off at 45% first as I have a new cork strip but will no doubt go the silicon route next time.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.