The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The history of your car
I am sure I'm not the only Seven owner who would like to chronicle the history of their car but is thwarted by lack of documentation or beaurocracy enhanced by Data Protection Act consequences etc.  Without encouraging people to break the law has anyone wormed their way into 'old' data for this perfectly legitimate reason?   Original registration records if they still exist can be wonderful - I know my 1934 Tourer FO 3040 was first registered to Radnorsdhire County Council but after that I know virtually nothing.  Even our most revered clubs are not always forthcoming - I believe my car was owned 15 or so years ago by someone in the 750 club but I have had no success approaching their officials as everyone seems frightened to give personal information away even if not held on computer and even when membership lists were freely available to other members at the time.  Very frustrating.
The original FO registration records are apparently still held at Powys Archives in Llandrindod Wells. They are however closed due to Covid until further notice.

https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/1869/Arc...ly-History

https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/1929/Pow...ning-hours
Like it or not, anyone who holds information that is not in the public domain has to be very careful about what they do with it, however innocuous it may appear.

The usual advice seems to be to ask the club to forward your enquiry to their member; whether or not they do is entirely up to them.

Data protection undoubtedly has its place, but its scope does seem rather absurd - if my dentist left a message on my answering machine to remind me about tomorrow's appointment, would civilisation really collapse?
Thanks Geoff - yes I have been there and taken copies.  Mine was one of three tourers purchased in March 1934 by the County Council.

I'm very much a novice when it comes to GDPR but I think there is still confusion over some aspects of the legislation and I'm sure Martin is right that organisations (to whom as I understand it the law applies rather than to individuals) have to take care.  Where old County Council archives are available for inspection then presumably that information is, at least potentially, in the public domain.  So I might find out who first owned a car but not anyone afterwards.  However, if I am shown an old club membership list by an ex-club member and use it to make contact it is difficult to see who is breaking what law.  So is there anyone out there who has a 15 year old 750 membership list?  Or have I got it all wrong?
I contacted a long-ago owner on the green logbook, about any history he may have about my A7. Long shot has he may not even have still been alive, amazingly he contacted me and gave me loads of history along with books, period photos, and spares that he still had in his garage, from 40 years ago. all would have been lost had I not contacted this chap, who was also delighted that I had. good luck with your search Robin.
I can trace my car back to the 1960s, I am the third keeper since then.
I was asked to take the grandson of the 1960s owner to him Prom a few years ago,I had the engine apart at the time so could not help !
The chap my father bought the car from wrote about his exploits with the car in the 750 Bulletin. I believe it was raced around a Speedway track against a Nippy and lost !!!
About 12 years ago I restored an Austin 12 which was rumoured to have Royal connections, it had been registered on the Isle of Man and I applied there for any info they might have. I got the usual letter about confidentiality so sadly they couldn’t help. 
Well it took a couple of months of correspondence but I was able to convince them that as the car’s owner I had as much right to the info as they had. Eventually they capitulated and sent me what they had. I find that old fashioned letters are much better than emails in these situations as officialdom have to respond likewise, in consequence they are more inclined to agree if only to get rid of the pest!
Oh, and yes, the old 12/4 Harley had originally been owned by the Queen Mums sister before going on to be used by the Governor of the IOM.
Well, no further on as to history, but a recent posting on the Austin Seven facebook group has this wonderful photo clearly from a local paper.  How many of us have photos of our cars when new?  I'd better get myself a flashing blue light.

.jpg   fo 3040new.jpg (Size: 88.71 KB / Downloads: 416)    
*like*
What a bit of luck! Looks like your car is about the same age as my RP, sadly I can’t imagine a photograph exists of it new though.