The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YL 664?
Anyone on here own a yellow 1925 Chummy, YL 664?

If you are that person, be warned, someone on eBay is selling your original car number plate, which may cause a problem with DVLA if someone tries to make a claim.....

1920's AUSTIN MOTOR CO. LTD SEVEN CHUMMY COVENTRY VICTOR SPECIAL CHASSIS PLATE | eBay
The badge - given a swift polish.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

why would it need reporting? If the plate is owned by the seller, its a 100% legit sale.
I dont think Id like someone selling our I.D plates off our 7s. 100% legit sale or not. Happy ending anyhow. He is removing it from sale and willing to pass this onto the owner of the chummy so hopefully find out a name of someone who owns it. Kind regards Joe
Good outcome, but fundamentally he is just selling a piece of aluminium. No different to a used tyre
I disagree, Hedd. He's selling a vehicle's VIN plate which could be used to register an otherwise unidentified/cloned/stolen car.
Nope. Its a historic artifact. Just like all the RF60 logbooks you see on sale on ebay.

Father took the car and chassis number plates off the body of what is now my chummy at some point. When he was stripping the paint.

When I went through his stuff I never found them. So thru are missing, yet existed 5 years ago. Stuff like this happens easily.

As for the latter, what purpose would it serve?. All it would get is the same shitty 3 number 3 letter or worse a Bloody Fool 'age related' registration as it would get if you just stamped the chassis with a made up number.

Besides, is theft of Austin 7's a real world problem?
I have one it came in a box of bits years ago is it anyones on here A4 1783
I think the starting point in this murky and questionable practice of selling identifiable number plates, log books, etc. should at least be the certain knowledge that the original vehicle has been registered as scrapped. Even so I think it is completely unethical.
I used to chat regularly to a chap at rallies who had quite a lot of vintage vehicles, including Sevens,some of which had not been on the road for whatever reason for some time.
 When stricter regulations, such as SORN came into being he attempted to get all the paperwork in order, but was refused on one of them as the (presumably attractive) number had, unknowingly to him, been claimed and was on a modern BMW or Mercedes or some such.
I believe he eventually managed to prove that the number had been fraudulently taken and was able to reclaim it.
Whilst it is very simple to check if the registration is in use, it is almost impossible to legally check if a VIN number is in use and cross reference it to a registration number. So what your suggesting is for the most part impossible.

And its even more impossible than that, my experience is that it is pot luck which number is used in place of the VIN. Is it the Austin Car number? Is it the Austin chassis number? is it the Austin Body number? I have seen all 3!.

It seems luck would have it that the A7 chassis register just so happens to have the info on this.

However this register is unknown to most, even some A7 enthusiasts. So expecting a ebay seller trying to sell a historic car trinket to a) know about it, and, b) check it before selling it is IMO a stretch too far.

There is nothing unethical about it at all. Its just a piece of Aluminium.