The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas Switch Panel Levers/Knobs
So Lucas switch panels are becoming an item that are getting rarer and more expensive. Many that are available have either broken or missing levers/knobs (whichever term you prefer). 

Back in the heady days of autojumbles, I picked up the bare bones of two switch panels for £5. These were in a bit of a sorry state, but salvageable, and of course the levers were missing. In experimenting with moulding bits for ML magnetos I dug out these panels and made a mould from one of the original levers I had. 
With a little machined brass insert and an over moulding I can make the part shown in the attached photos. These are pretty much identical to the originals and certainly if they are fitted in pairs you would be very hard pushed to know they were reproductions. 

I started out making these just for myself and have made a couple for another forum member over the last couple of days. 

The question is whether there is a demand for these to be made in larger numbers? 

If it is the sort of thing you would be interested in, I would be glad of any feedback. I don't necessarily want people to commit to orders, but if I know there is a bit of a demand, I would get in the brass stock and run off a batch. 

Thanks

Tom

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC_0506.JPG (Size: 198.65 KB / Downloads: 576)
.jpg   DSC_0507.JPG (Size: 184.73 KB / Downloads: 575)
They certainly look the part - well done. I suppose the problem for many of us is that we don't need them until one breaks, then its too late ! I would hope that one of our "suppliers" will take you up on this so that there would be a central repository for them.
It struck me when stripping one of these down that there are only so many who will take one apart, while others will look for a new model that works. The crucial thing for this thread that might affect uptake is 'how much might they be' on a small run? They are quite labour intensive so some people may be holding back - but it would be something which would be good to know.
Are they are wearing part, or are most breakages down to bad handling when they are loose items away from a car?
Having had problems with these in the past, I would be happy to buy a pair to put on the shelf. And don't forget, there are many other 1920s cars which use the same basic panel (all the larger Austinsor components (Morris Cowleys, Oxfords and Minors, M-Type MG etc).
Make a small batch and perhaps see what the world's largest auction site brings in.
Then you'll know

c
if you dont mind the opinion of a supplier of parts.

if you want to make a larger batch, contact the suppliers "before you make them" see if they will take any. do remember they will want to make on there outlay.

"please dont call me", ive not been asked for one of these for over 3 years, and im already reducing slow selling items. i dont need anymore.

a good idea, as suggested by charles. try the worlds largest online auction site. my guess is you might get one or two sales, everyone else will want them for less than it costs you to make them.

perhaps there is a position for someone like this forum, to do a small sellers area. for people supplying just one or two parts to help the austin world. perhaps the clubs could help in a simular way. or just list them in the sales and wants.

you are more likely to find, as soon as you are a seller. you are automatically a millionaire, and everyone wants a piece of that for advertising, commision etc.

perhaps like mike costigan, more people should hold a spare, as parts are getting harder to get. i notice everyone are struggling to get something as simple as a ruby rad cowl. they were a give away item 5 years ago.

you really could do with letting people now what they will cost up front. no point in taking 10 orders, just to find you loose 8 because the is felt to be to high.

good luck, tony.
Thanks all,
I take all of the advice and comments here to heart. So far I have had a couple of people say I would have a couple for stock but no one saying they desperately need them. 
I take Tony's points particularly due to his vast experience with this. I certainly don't expect to make a fortune out of them, but thought it could offset some of the costs on other projects, while helping people out. 

Charles, I hadn't even thought about ebay. It is probably a good call, I shall put some on and see what happens you never know sometimes things go crazy.

With regard to the batch, I have just ordered the brass to make 24 of them, these I will do in odd moments and then let people know when they are ready and available. I believe I can do them at a pretty good price without working slave labour rates. If those sell I may do a few more but might end up being a bit more of a "friends and family" thing as and when they are needed. 

Hopefully it should allow a few more switch panels to re-enter service over the next few years. 

Thanks again. 

Tom
Well done Tom, like Tony I wish you the very best of luck, it looks like a great project...I’ve tried gluing them together in the past and they always fell to pieces within a week!
(27-01-2021, 02:40 PM)TomHunt Wrote: Hopefully it should allow a few more switch panels to re-enter service over the next few years. 

Thanks again. 

Tom

Tom

You could buy tired cheap SM3 & 5's that are lacking knobs and take the full premium on selling the complete item.

"This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires"

c
If you do advertise them on eBay, it would be worth investigating other applications. This is the instrument panel on a flat-nosed Morris Cowley which I am pretty sure uses the same switches:

.jpg   P1020277 (2).JPG (Size: 108.49 KB / Downloads: 313)