The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplies of Whit and BSF fasteners
Searching for some square-headed 4-way toolpost blots, I came across this company - who appear to have stocks of both common and rarer Whitworth and BSF items: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/hootflipflopa...2182665017
Hi tony,

It's good to see the imperial sizes on ebay. And excellent if you just want 5 bolts as a restorer.

But as usual there prices are about 5 x as much as a proper supplier.

Although the company I use, is not restock imperial anymore. Just like everything old there, not enough call for it.

Although they will still take special orders 1,000 pieces, each size wanted.

Nevermind.

Tony.
They certainly are very expensive - but, needs must. Still, if you have some hex bar stock and a lathe you can always make your own. Surprisingly easy with a tailstock sliding die holder.
When I lived on the Isle of Wight, I could buy Whitworth screws, nuts and bolts over the counter from a place in Sandown, they were brilliant and competitively priced. I wish there was a similar place here on the mainland.
Whilst bolts can be made, the stock rolled thread heat treated basic ht screw is surprisingly sophisticated. I dunno if the typical hex material would match. For many appications mild steel is fine, but users become accustomed to ht as most modern fasteners are. Is hex in Whit sizes readily available?
(26-01-2021, 05:17 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: They certainly are very expensive - but, needs must. Still, if you have some hex bar stock and a lathe you can always make your own. Surprisingly easy with a tailstock sliding die holder.
Hi Tony
Agreed! but generally for small sizes you can find what you need.  As the size goes up I (or my little lathe) find it more difficult to turn the die without everything slipping.  I have resorted to a rough screw cut followed by the die to get the correct profiles.

Cheers

Howard
I live near to Eggborough (now closed) and Drax Power Stations. In Selby, there's a fastener supplier, Reilly's. As well as the full metric range they also kept a supply of BSF and BSW. They did that because when the power needed something quick, Reilly's was where they went. Eggborough was built before Drax and was built 'imperial', the later Drax, 'metric'. Regretfully, now Eggrough's closed, all imperial stocks are gone.

Steve
My daughter has just bought a new microphone, from an American supplier. I was surprised to see it came with a 3/8 Whitworth mounting thread. Are they still current in the USA?
I believe 3/8-16 [in UNC] is a common global standard for camera tripod mounting screws, perhaps it's a carry-over so the mic can be attached to a camera tripod if you need to do this, rather than using an actual mic stand?
Stories of old nut and bolt shops.

I used to stock from a little shop, frog island road. Leicester. 25 years ago.

When I say little shop it was arckrights, only smaller. And the owners had far more colourful language.  A mid terrace house. The front room being the counter. Metric was stored in the back room. Living area upstairs. All the bsf and whit were down in the cellar.

I'd go in when I needed about 10 to 20 different boxes of nuts and bolts, helicoyles.

Some of the stock had been there so long, they would often open a box. To find things were starting to rust from the 30 year old label inside. And offer it as a freebie.

SADLY ALL GONE.

tony.