The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down on power?
Next time your car is struggling in first gear up yet another Pennine hill, and the vacuum wiper has given up any attempt to clear the screen, spare a thought for the intrepid motorists who came before the Seven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-2g2kZ...RgsmnI%3A6
Ah the hazards of driving a car without front wings, rain is the least of your worries and always keep your mouth shut.
Great. Envy those roads. No gharish barriers signs etc, not remade for 40 ton trucks. Not what the typical tourist ever gets to see. Much more fun then a blast in a modern (ie post 1935). But I would need to spend a week testing all those ultra spindly axle and steering components.
It's not very often I have to resort to 1st gear in the RP, but I did on this particular hill. It's the Chemin de Saint Julien in the town of Alès, near where I live. It's the steepest hill in France (gradient is 33%) and allegedly the 5th steepest road on the planet.. enjoy:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMhUW-c0jzo
Lovely cars but some of the driving was reckless overtaking on a bend and on the brow of a hill together with overtaking in the heavy mist when the way ahead was unclear. That is unless the camera angle made it look like that.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
But the two cars together only the width of a modern.
An RP with later head will climb where many much more modern are defeated. Hard on the fabric universals.
For NZers mine would manage Liverpool St Auckland and Wellington Radio off Oranga Kaupapapa in 2nd. The firms CA Bedfords were banned from the latter because so many clutches were wrecked.
I recognised much of that route through God's own country immediately. One of my favourite outings and so lucky to have it on my doorstep. Looks like great fun and I wish I'd been there.
Oh Reckless, did you have to post that video? Here I am, like all of us, missing so many of the simple pleasures in life and you go and remind me that one of the most missed things is regularly getting over to France for fabulous drives in wonderful countryside under those high-cloud blue skies. I think I may have a bit of grit in my eye...

p.s. I SO want one of those fab cyclecars!
Some familiar roads in that film, starts with the lower slopes of the Buttertubs coming from Hawes.  Later Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle Carlisle is shown, the summit of Fleet Moss in the fog, then Gayle ford near Hawes in full flow.
Makes me want to organise another Pennine Run.
(21-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Great. Envy those roads. No gharish barriers signs etc, not remade for 40 ton trucks. Not what the typical tourist ever gets to see. Much more fun then a blast in a modern (ie post 1935). But I would need to spend a week testing all those ultra spindly axle and steering components.

Plenty of tourists do find those roads Bob.