The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
WHITE METAL CLEAN UP. ??
Hi Guys, The spares with my A7 included a spare crank that had been white metaled and then taped up and stored, rather than heavily greased. Anyway, the question is can the journals be cleaned up (machined) as they have the finest of surface rust after years of being stored. It's a shame they have been stored this way. Also if they can be cleaned, how much can be taken off safely, or are these now useless. It does come off with fine paper and water. Is white metalling an expensive process these days.?
Regards RPM
Certainly not cheap. Have you tried using something like T-Cut on the journals rather than a fine paper?
Hi Hugh, would need something a little more aggressive that T-cut may work with 3 os wire wool.
Are you talking about the cleaning up the crankshaft journals, the white metal in the rod, or both?
Hi Ruairidh , Just the crank I dont have the rods.
You can happily polish the journals up yourself with fine emery tape or take it to a machine shop for similar. Do you have a lathe?

However, it if were me and I was going to get the rods metalled to it, I would take it to a crank grinder and ask them to clean it up, then get the white metal to suit it. Not a costly exercise.
Hi Ruairidh, that sounds good advice. Sadly I have no lathe. I will give them a very light clean and grease them until needed. I'm hoping to build a spare engine.
Thanks for your help.
RPM
If the surface rust is light you have nothing to lose by cleaning up using fine emery cloth strip. If the journals look good after that, check the size and you will probably find no appreciable reduction from what they were ground to. If they still show pitting you have lost nothing but a very light grind would correct the situation.
I am confused! In what way was the crank white metalled? White metal generally goes on connecting rods, not cranks.
Hi Rpm, Would it clean up with one of the nylon abrasive pads. Much less sever than emery cloth.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.