The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 volt booster
Hi Folks, Does anyone know if such a thing as a 6 Volt Battery Booster exists.
My RP struggles even with a fully charged battery these days and its a bit of
a struggle for an Octagonarion plus 3 to keep swinging.   Angry
Something wrong somewhere if the car's not turning over on 6 volts. Main thing to check is that the starter motor has both live and earth feeds direct from the battery, and that the carbon brushes in the starter motor are OK.

I started my 6 volt RP today, on a very cold day. Primed the carb using the fuel pump lever and then it started first pull on full choke. Never really had to use the handle except for doing tappets etc.
I would agree that there is another problem. The Ruby gets a few tickles on the primer under the fuel pump and then fires up. If it has had to stand for a very long time then maybe turned over on the handle a couple of times. But probably to stop me worrying about all the oil being asleep in the sump. The 6v battery should have no problem at all.
Agree with the comments already made. 
If the starter motor is good and if the battery is decent then the car should start easily at all times.
Stress testing the battery first might the a good idea if that passes muster, then the starter need attention, always assuming the wiring is OK.

A friend did recently ask me to look at his starter because it was poor but did tell me that it did not need brushes because he had already fitted new.
What he did not tell me was that he had undercut the commutator like you would on a dynamo  Huh .
So I had to skim the com down to bring it back to normal insulation at the com surface.
Replaced brushes again of course

It now works well.
Completely agree with the comments - there is a problem. But the questioner is asking if there is a 6v boost pack. I have often wondered. 
. Would be jolly handy on occasion...
2nd hand 6volt charger / boosters do come on the market,most of these were made in the 1950s/60s.
use a 12v battery! Big Grin
I have a 12v/6v charger/starter purchased from Lidl a few years ago. It's piss-poor as a charger and I have never managed to get it to work as a starter, ever.
As said by otherst a 6volt battery in good codition should happily turn the motor over and start it. So suspect the starter motor or connections. Why not disconnect the LT from the starter motor and use one of the small 12volt jump starters? There are heaps of cars converted to 12volts and still using the 6volt starter.
BTW my MGB had been asleep in storage since March 2020, the battery was dead flat and unchargeable, I used a little jump starter the size of about three cigarette packets and it was up and running. And yes I have had many of the full size jump starters with the lead acid battery and the battery usually dies after about 18 months even if it gets top up charges. My little jump starter with it's USB ports is still going strong after more than three years. I use it's USB facillity to run a GPS in the A7.
Before you start stripping your starter motor down check the connections of the earth straps on the battery and engine/starter motor together with the heavy starter lead. Disconnect and clean them up then re connect. At present they maybe good enough for all your other electrics but the starter uses a high amperage and needs good connections. A good starter will struggle without the good connections.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.