The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer draftsman needed
The Archive has just been kindly donated 5, 10x8" drawings of the Bowden IFS system. As I understand it, the origins of these were from the maker himself. They are hand drawn rather 'rough' notes and not formal engineering drawings. It ocurred to me that as well as publishing the originals, it might be nice if someone skilled in the art might be prepared to redraw them in a more 'formal' manner. Does anyone with the appropriate background fancy taking on a project on behalf of the Archive? Rewards will be nil in monetary terms but the high in the esteem that person will be held in by the Archivist and the rest of the Austin 7 world...

Offers, as usual, by email to the Archivist

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all!

Hugh
Hi Hugh

I put away my drawing board many years ago and don’t have the eyesight I used to have. But would it not be better to find someone well versed in CAD techniques? You can always print off computer produced drawings.

Cheers

Howard
Hugh - it might be worth asking Hugh Dyson (our club) he has often spoken about a willingness to look into such projects
I've been doing some technical drawing today funnily enough, but doing my best on the dining room table as I no longer have access to a proper drawing board.

I would offer but - lack of facilities aside - I already have enough work queued to keep me going well into next year I'm afraid.

Must echo what Howard said, nowadays there is some reasonable 2D drawing software available which no doubt is quicker and easier than manual drawing once you have mastered it. The obvious difficulty is one must take time out to learn it before getting to that stage.
Thank you all for your responses - both here and in the Archivist's inbox. As a result, I already have a 1st draft of a sample returned to me and have a number of others in reserve as Plan B if needed. As posts here have suggested, it seems there are a number of people who are Friends who use CAD on a regular basis, so I have high hopes that we will have success in this project. I have been really happy and encouraged with the offers of help and you all have my sincere thanks...

I will keep you updated as to progress...
This is gold Hugh, the forum and archive at it's proactive best! Congratulations.
If any of the aforementioned CAD users can recommend a good 2D drawing package which is quick & simple to learn (and preferably free!) it would be of interest.
If you have the time to spare, it's worth watching this: conversion from a blueprint to a 2D image and then to a 3D model. Ignore the speed at which the item is drawn - obviously, the user is experienced. The process is relatively simple but, as with anything else, practice and yet more practice is the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgAXVmvnrDk

If you'd like to have a go, an easy introduction to the process is to start by playing with one of the many free 3D printing programs (you don't need a printer to play with the software): https://www.geeetech.com/specialpage/software/  There is also, of course, tons of help on youtube.

And, finally, why not make a replica carbon fibre A7 Chassis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWSePEV88tw
Good to know that a solution is underway re the drawings. For anyone who fancies doing this stuff using traditional media, I have an A0 parallel motion drawing board and stand available here, free to collector.

It's at my garage workshop in North West Kent, 10 minutes drive from the Dartford river crossing.
Chris, 

Some time ago I was given an out of date copy of Turbocad 2d. I have been largely self-teaching myself and over the course of 6 or 7 evenings have made enough progress that I can now draw simple building elevations. I'm not great with techy stuff so if I can do it, anyone can!