The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drivetrain advice from Mallock
here is a nice summary from 1943.
I'm now head scratching over drivetrain and altering the torque tube mount. Does what he says in the first and seventh para still hold true?...i.e. all is well as long as you are not using a Nippy or Ulster crankcase? or?
I'm also a bit confused over changing a short mount which is secured in the upper position for a long mount which is secured in the lower position. Surely some of these actions reduce the impact of the parts. Why didn't they keep one mount position and have a shorter longer mount, if that makes sense?

I am sure nothing has changed in the design since this was printed.
Its just an observation on interchangability as valid today as it was in the heyday of special building.
We are far better equiped and informed nowadays but still need to refer back to the experts of old.
ok, well perhaps a more pointed question.
Why did a change in torque tube mount ball position come about? I can see that it subtly changes the arc of movement, but why was it improved over just having a slightly shorter long mount - and the ball bracket kept as it always had been?
If the torque tube is level or pointing downwards towards the front axle oil can migrate up it.
Jim