The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll meet again!
With your worldwide isolation and Brexit coming up real soon now, we, from the continent, would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the Austin Seven, that splendid little car, before it is all too late. Of course we do hope the vaccines work, or at least one of them. If not, well, we are quite confident that some of you will survive. We will miss the cherished suppliers, although some of them have kept us waiting for parts for such a long time we might never notice they stopped continental trading. We will continue enjoying our Sevens. We wish you all the best, stay put (especially that) and perhaps, some day, somewhere, we'll meet again!
...and a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you all as well. All we need now is a couple of feet of snow - to show just how superior the Seven is in such conditions. That would top the year off nicely. In 1972 I joined the Veteran and Vintage Drive into Europe - well, Brussels - organised by Lord Montague and seen off from Horse Guards Parade by the one and only Edward Heath. Sadly, I won't be able to repeat the exercise in reverse; I was thinking of doing it, as a sort joke within a joke. Never mind.

Attached Files
.jpg   Xmas-friends-2020.jpg (Size: 414.72 KB / Downloads: 328)
I must say I lay in my bed last night with the echoes of all those slamming border gates spinning around my head.
The Netherlands are especially close to my heart & will be missed. Take care though, I read that you already have 'the new one' over there well before all that gate-slamming started.
The current status of our relationship with Europe will change for(ever) soon and while I accept it I see it as crass folly.
I have enjoyed the ability to just go without bureaucratic intervention and participate in vintage and classic events as well as holidays and have always enjoyed a warm welcome. I only hope that my favoured events will be rearranged this coming year so I can maintain long-standing friendships that have arisen from petroleum fun.
What can one add that is even faintly cheerful. Small but welcome French, German and Belgian entries at Shelsley, Prescott and Silverstone, will we see them again? The cheerful and sometimes considerable contingent from the Netherlands who turn up most years for Ian Grace's MG event. The usual end of the year angst being added to by asking why on earth we never got organised for  Montlhery Revival, can't imagine there's the faintest chance of May 2021. Happy days, if I had the energy I'd try to make a joke about fish tails and Brooklands exhausts but I'll leave that to someone else.
I don’t think there is any need to be gloomy, I was travelling to and from the continent and friends in reverse, before the eu and we didn’t even think about it...like the dreaded coronavirus we will learn to live with it and in a years time we’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Well, I hope so, Rosie and I are driving the old box down to Spain!
The thing we need to keep an eye on is that existing concessions for historic vehicles (which are currently based on EU accord) are maintained post-Brexit on both sides of the fence.
We travelled in Europe before there was an EU and we will do so afterwards - albeit with less freedom, more hassle, more expense, and a lot more bureaucracy. 

Anyway, Johnson tells me that it's all going to be absolutely marvellous in world-beating Britain after Jan 1st. As he always tells the truth, I have no worries at all.
Hi All

I’m with the gloom mongers I’m afraid.

Not that Britain won’t become a World beater, not that relationships with our European friends won’t prosper in the future .......but that all this will take time...years.  And at my time of life I don’t have years to wait.

I’m afraid, no matter what, the hiatus that Brexit will cause is not something we can forget about soon.

Cheers

Howard
The motto of the US Marine's Redcon troop is "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome". In reality once the dust of Brexit has settled and politicians have got fed up with their pointless posturings life on both sides of the Channel will very quickly get back to normal. British residents wishing to visit Europe will need an International Driving Permit (available at the post office for a few quid) and you will also need an insurance green card, the vehicles registration document and a valid passport. Just like it was in the old days.

Visas are not necessary unless you are planning staying for longer than 90 days

The EHIC will probably no longer apply, but in any case it's no substitute for comprehensive travel & health insurance.

I will happily offer a Pastis or a chilled glass of Rosé to anyone that cares to pass my way.

Malgré le Brexit, la vie est belle!