The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby/Pearl Door Cards
Hi

I am thinking of replacing the (already replaced once) door cards of my early Pearl. I assume the originals were 1/8 inch plywood.

Any recommendations for the best material to use ?

Is it a good idea to treat the wood with anything ?

Whilst the cards are off, has anyone found a modern replacement for the little rubber roller that sits against and guides the window glass ?
John, we can supply the cards. Please pm me if you'd like any details.
I'd be interested to hear more about the little roller John. Our windows rattle when open, perhaps because they should have one. Mk1 or Mk2 ?
The rollers are only fitted to the Mk1, Peter. I can probably sort out a photo, if you're interested.
Thank you Martin. Mine is a Mk2 so not applicable. The rattle is obviously a feature!
Back in the day all accessory shops sold little rubber wedges that you could put between glass and door top. Prevented rattle and stoped windows gradually opening themselves when mechanisms worn.
Regarding windows rattling, I think that Austin addressed this problem.  On my SWB RL saloon the top rail of the window lining incorporates a detail which stops the window rattling and pushes the glass outwards against the felt lined channel when closed.
On the inside angle of the rebate of the timber there is a length of rubber tubing about 1/4" diameter ( similar to that you would find in the Chemistry lab at school). The leathercloth or fabric covering goes over this.  As the glass reaches the top of its travel, the top edge is gently pushed out by the cushioned corner of the rebate.   I suspect that when cars have been restored this detail might have been overlooked.  Similarly there is a length of cloth covered piping between the door frame top and the window top rail.  I think there was also a small valance of cloth above the door to prevent a draught,  this was fitted between the edge of the head-lining and the decorative braid used to hide the tacks.  These little details make the difference, I think a saloon needs to be comfortable!
My Ruby ARQ.
Am thinking of using a row of ‘O’ rings.

(22-12-2020, 01:36 PM)Geoff Halstead Wrote: My Ruby ARQ.
Am thinking of using a row of ‘O’ rings.
What is the diameter of the rollers Geoff? I bought some gas tube from a plumbers merchant that I believe comes in various sizes...
Don't remember the rollers on mine, and it's only a few months since I put the doors back together. How do you ever hear the rattle of the windows with all the other racket going on?