The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whatever next?
Good lord! An Ulsteroid with pockets? They'll be adding leather satchels next!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1296386

.jpg   14097388.jpg (Size: 69.37 KB / Downloads: 631)
Wish I'd thought of that when I trimmed mine!
Though on the driver's side I doubt you could stow more than a sheet of paper without locking up the steering...
Was the Crabtree car green and grey? And how exactly do we think the Crabtree was converted from a wide body, out of interest? Is that suggesting it was just a production shape but with external tank/short bonnet etc?
First time I've heard of a ball race rear with rollers at the front.
I run a ball race rear but balls at the front as well

C
It’s always best to keep your balls to the front
Alan Fairless
alan,

you definatly dont want ball in the rear Wink thats just a pain in the a***  Big Grin

charles,

what do you do about allowing for crank wip.

or is it a matter of running a new 1 1/2 crank, and hopeing there is no wip.

tony
I considered buying this car several years ago. Steve Hodgson built it for himself but ended up selling it, in whose new hands it was only occasionally driven. When I looked at it, it needed some fettling and had a few minor issues(a bent cross member and corrosion). As I recall, and others can correct me on this, I had the understanding that the original Crabtree car and this replica were the standard EA Sports body, with the TT type short bonnet and large tank. In the case of the Replica, the tank is a dummy which looks correct on the outside, but the internals are reduced to the standard five gallon tank.

Erich in Mukilteo
Hi Charles P

The ins and outs of ball race rear was canvassed here a year or few ago. A fixed ball race at both ends is against the rules. The rating of a modern ball probably approaches a 1930s roller. I think it was one of th BSA models which had a ball race at the clutch end.
My father fitted all ball races during WW2 when he could not get a roller. He considered it unsatisfactory for some reason and (with rationing) replaced at low mileage. Curiously the car never gave trouble with the rear main working loose.
Tony 

Ball race at the rear, with a spacer ground to ensure the crank can't float.
No lip at the front and two ball races. Has worked perfectly for over 15 years. All the restraint for crank thrust movement from the clutch is done at the rear of the crank, which is probably how should have been designed anyway. As you say, 1.5" crank helps

C
Looks a nice car, Walter Heal had it up for sale not long ago at £24000, amazing how these cars increase in value!