The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Period photos
For a while now, I have been thinking about areas of the Archive that need enhancment. One such area is that of good quality contemporary photographs. Imagine my delight when I was alerted to a lot in an Auction that took place this morning where 65 suitable photos were to come up for sale. Very long story cut short, a lot I had (not unreasonably) valued at around £500 (I had someone view on my behalf and discussed them with an experienced collector who had viewed them when in the ownership of previous owner) made a staggering £1200 and, when the scandalous 33.6% commission had been added, came to a breathtaking £1600. Frankly far too much in my opinion for many reasons. I am very conscious that I have limited funds to play with and continue to be extremely grateful to those Clubs who have contributed not inconsiderable amounts to fund my efforts. However, I still have to spend wisely and look for a sensible 'return on investment' when making such purchases. 

So, here is my request. Should any of you have suitable photos in your private collection that you might be prepared to part with for reasonable amounts, or be prepared to loan for digitisation and return, I would be delighted to hear from you. As ever, an email to the Archivist would be very welcome.. This is the sort of photo I am keenly trying to add to the collection..

.jpg   chummy in the splash.jpg (Size: 178.31 KB / Downloads: 562)

thanks..

Hugh
Hugh,

Amazing prices indeed; some of the other lots went even higher. There must be some auctioneers and executors who will sleep well tonight.

In connection with another car club I have been made aware of the historical photos that are available via the Bibliotheque Nationale de France. These are public domain photos. So far I have come across very little Austin content but here is one nice picture of GE at Montlhery.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b5...k=193134;0

Best regards
Martin
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
What can be done with latter day photos to ensure they last so well? Despite the multi millions taken there will be less in future, and certainly less well structured ones.
That's such a disappointment Hugh. But you made the right call. 

Since the photos are likely to have been acquired by someone with a genuine interest in Austin 7s there's just a chance they may be on this forum or known by people on the forum. I do hope that if this message reaches them they might consider allowing the A7CA archive to make digital copies.

(As for the commission charged by the auction house - outrageous. I long ago began to question the view that bidders take it into account and lower their bids accordingly. Many don't.  If the bidder has deep enough pockets they simply pay the price and swallow the commission charge).
That auction is on another planet. The prices have nothing to do with ordinary collectors, let alone historians or archives. Had it been open, at least a number of us could have stood there and noticed either the identity of the bidders, or how much certain auction practises were going on. Last time my patience allowed me to look at the website, the 33% commission was still claiming to include VAT. According to my ancient pals selling books, books have always been rated as zero VAT. If I've got that wrong I'm sure Mick Hobday will put me right.
The VAT is levied on the commission fee, not the purchase price,
Thank you Mike. Can anyone explain or excuse the huge difference between the combined commision plus VAT charged by the auction house mentioned here, and Brightwells or Edmonds?
Yes Steve. They charge it because they can get away with it. We are fortunate that not all auction houses are so rapacious.

As an aside, in the 1970s I had a pal who worked in the fine art department at Bonhams. We commuted to London on the same train and in chatting one evening he told me that his firm was going to start charging commission to buyers as well as to sellers. It was completely revolutionary and my immediate reaction was to say they would lose shedloads of business. The media also thought so. How wrong we were.
Only this week I've commented elsewhere on the few contemporary photos of Nippies, ones which show any detail at least, so I heartily endorse any efforts to procure such like for the archive.

I imagine the market for collectables must be soaring in a year when people haven't been able to get out much; even so they must have been good photos to reach that price. I will refrain from commenting on commissions!

A thought occurs to me; while it is frustrating to restorers, historians and enthusiasts alike not to be able to access 'available' materials, at the same time I can understand the position of collectors. Their photos or artifacts are, after all, saleable assets. I will at this point 'fess up to sitting on a collection of (non-motoring) photos myself as I'm well aware of the impact on their worth of sharing them on the internet. People have all sorts of reasons for not wanting their rarities in the public domain. With this in mind, could (or does) the Archive perhaps offer some specific terms of acquisition/ loan to respect the wishes of such folk? e.g. material held for physical reference only and not to be reproduced? I realise this presents some difficulties but such efforts just might lure a little more material out of hiding.

A parting thought Hugh, are you in touch with Helmut Kasimirowicz? He's been putting some cracking photos up on Facebook lately, it might be worth a chat to see what else he has up his sleeve.
I believe the main issue with the commission is that you are in effect paying two sets of fees.

Mr Card at Transport Collectors Auctions (who runs the sale) is not an auction house and uses existing auction houses to run the sales rather than doing it himself. I believe they used to be run at Chippenham? (could be wrong). So you've got TCA's fees and Lawrences fees.