The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres?
What is the collective wisdom for the best tyre choice for my SWB Ulsteroid?
Running standard 3.50 x 19" and for road use with occasional possible track days and Driving Tests?
Blockleys / Longstones / Cheng Shin / Avon?
Experiences appreciated!
Pressure recommendations?
Hi Bob

You’ll probably get as many recommendations as there are types of tyres and maybe a consensus might emerge?

I’ve got Longstones on my RK and although I’ve not done many miles they seem to perform well and look the part.

I needed a cheap set of tyres to put on my special as I was building it so that I could wheel it around and check clearances between mudguards etc.  I bought some Mitas H2O tyres which I quite like the look of although they may not suit a saloon.  I have little expectation of longevity as the rubber seems quite soft (they are motorcycle tyres really).  So far they seem quite grippy and hold the road acceptably.

I guess you pays your money and takes your chance!

Cheers

Howard
I use Longstones and run between 28-32lb.
Very happy with them on the road and track and they look good as well

c
Blockleys here. Very pleased with look and roadholding. Currently a bit cheaper than the Longstones.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Currently Blockley a lot cheaper than Longstone, but not as much tread to start with as the Longstone.
Nice looking vintage tread pattern on both.
I put a set of Mitas tyres on my RP saloon shortly after I had it. Yes, they are quite 'grippy', but only lasted about 4000 miles. I replaced them with a set of Avon Triple Duties. 6000 miles and they still have plenty of tread. I have noticed that they are quite hard and are sensitive to tyre pressures. I am currently running them at 22lbs/sq in all round which seems to suit. They also have a tendency to accentuate the car's tendency to bump steer compared with the Mitas but this is not a problem if the pressures are not too high. Too much pressure and the car and the ride is harsh and the car is all over the road like a frightened rabbit at speed (above 45mph).
Oh lord, here we go again...
Used Avons since time began; no complaints from me & they last forever.
Taking the risk of boring you more Chris, what pressure please?
That because I use Avons too...
20 - 22 psi Renaud - no problem!
Avon sidecar TT - my 50 year old new-old-stock ones are identical in feel to the new pair I've just bought. Still made in UK.