The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder head skim
Just skimmed 0.010" off of a spare head using a fly cutter on a Warco Economy mill and pleased with the result, just waiting for some new core plugs to arrive and then fit it to the '32 RN
I would like some decent machine tools but I have been quoted thousands of pounds to have phase 3 installed.
Nice piece of kit, Bob.
(16-12-2020, 11:47 AM)Ray White Wrote: I would like some decent machine tools but I have been quoted thousands of pounds to have phase 3 installed.

Have you looked into phase converters? Used extensively in N America. Google "single to 3 phase converter"
(16-12-2020, 11:47 AM)Ray White Wrote: I would like some decent machine tools but I have been quoted thousands of pounds to have phase 3 installed.

You don't need 3 phase for most stuff that fits in a domestic setting. Yes, it's nice but you can get round it as long as you limit yourself to 3hp motors and use a phase converter or an inverter. I use both. 
3HP gives you plenty of options to run several tons of  kit on a single phase supply.
Yes, I'd like a DSG 17T but don't have the space, access, or the power supply. A CVA 1A is plenty. 

Charles
Ray White Wrote:I would like some decent machine tools but I have been quoted thousands of pounds to have phase 3 installed.

I have converted all my machine tools to single phase motors and switch gear. It's a bit of a ball ache but the costs are similar to a 3 phase converter and the resulting single phase machine is more valuable after conversion.
Agreed but for £100 you can get a 3 kw converter and distribute the 3ph all around the workshop.
I bought an electronic thingy (inverter?) to drive my miller, it cost nearly £ 300, but works very well.
Same here, I bought an ND 3 phase inverter to run my Fritz Werner universal milling machine, Norton lathe and my vintage drilling tapping machine. It was easy to install and doesn’t trip out, even when firing up the big mill, I would recommend an inverter because in my experience you’ll have a much wider range of machines open to you at better prices too.
My mill is a simple bit of kit, bought second hand 20 odd years ago for £150, single phase 3/4 hp. I do have 3 phase, but don't use it as such - just too expensive to change it back to single phase (meter, incoming RCDs, lightning protection and cable).