The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manifold
And there's me thinking that removing a stubborn cylinder head was a challenge - I hadn't reckoned with the exhaust manifold ! Just as well I'd bought a replacement one as the original was cracked, it certainly is now!.

Oh the pleasures of tinkering with a ninety year old car - get an Austin 7 they said - it's easy to work on they said.  I've found that every job creates another.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Its a state of mind - My mind is always in a state !
barry, the rule of removing unrestored parts.

if there is one of it, its a pain to remove.

if theres two of it, at least one is a pain to remove.

if theres three of it, at least one is a pain to remove.

and so on.

some call it sods law.

tony.
Hi Barry

At least manifolds are not ultra rare.

Just think if you cracked something really difficult to find!

Cheers

Howard
Everyone is so polite on here these days - some years ago, when I asked for suggestions to help with removal of a stuck cylinder head (that had been left for about 40 years to my knowledge and with the engine still in the car) - I was asked if I had removed all the nuts...

Colin
hi colin,

had you Big Grin

tony
I was green... hadn't expected the head to stick at all, then stay stuck despite pulling as hard as I could again and again, then stay stuck even after I had borrowed and applied a special lifting device from the local club guru... but, yes, I had removed the nuts.

Colin
A good way to move it start the engine and compression does the rest. I was taught that method if you can call it teaching around 60 years ago when the owner of an American V8 gas guzzler was having difficulties removing the heads.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
It took me almost as long to get the manifold off, The old one had cracked and was blowing. It was certainly cracked by the time I finally got it off, fortunately  I already had a replacement. I had to be careful as there's not a lot of meat where the studs screw in the block.

I wonder if there is some magical goo that I can put on the studs in case it ever has to be removed again. What should have been a ten minute job took several hours.

I would have done exactly that had I been able but my alternator is away for repair and will be some time apparently (but that's another story)
Lots of patience cursing and WD40 eventually got it shifted. All part of the joys of fettling a 7
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Hi Barry,
Invest in some Plus Gas it works better than WD40 as a penetrant.