The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage rev counters...
I need to buy a couple of rev counter gauges suitable for A7s - does anyone make anything new please?
hi R,

ARP does new electric and maybe mechanical.

but if its for a road car, and not needed to be accurate. you can easily make them up for a fraction of the price from vintage speedos. or is if you want electric MG midget or triumph rev counters.

tony
Hi Ruairidh

Depends how authentic and accurate you want to be.  I use a cheap Chinese import which seems to run well.  From memory it was £25. I made up the black bezel and glued it to the chrome rim.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Royal Enfield {India} stuff well worth a look;they come complete with Smiths label,not sure how they are able to do this legally. Austin seven engines are so"noisy" electrically that a suppressor is essential if going electronic  route.
Hey R

Willie does repro ulster ones which are excellent £340 each. The only issue is that they are 12 volt, he can supply an inverter for them at about £30.

They look exactly like the real thing and dead easy to drive off the coil feed.
Malcolm and I both have Willie's electronic rev counters on our Ulsters. As Nick says, look exactly like the real thing and simple to wire. I checked the accuracy of mine when the car was on the rolling road in the summer and it was spot on.

Steve
I eschewed such modern affectations as "electronic rev counters" (actually I use a magneto so electronic ones don't work easily) and bought a 0-5000 Smiths governor type, nos, probably military with a white face and running anti-clock (£25 on an auction site near you) . I slotted it into an old case (slipped straight in). By very good fortune it took a postwar Morris Minor speedo cable so was easy to connect. Looks pretty good, if not the product for the rivet counting "EA Sports" type. 
The added bonus of 0-5000 is that when the noise scrutineer says "2/3 max revs please" he assumes the maximum is 5K
Howard - how is yours operated?
Hi Jon

Mechanical drive off the bottom of the distributor.  Although it says 2.1 on the dial in fact it read too fast and I’ve scanned and reprinted the dial. Only reads to 4000 now  Sad.

Cheers

Howard
Hi R,

I did the electronic thing for the supersports using a gauge from demon tweeks (rotated by 90 degrees) and a fake face.

And the horridly complex recreation of the Brooklands AT Tacho/Speedo which has taken far more time than it really deserved..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)