The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scam email using forum member's address
(13-12-2020, 10:51 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: I've been the alleged "sender" of similar mails on four occasions over three or four years.  There are a couple of interesting points:

1.  The emails have used my name and very close approximations to my address. but not my EXACT address.  For this reason, I'm pretty certain that it isn't a "hack" of my account.

2.  On every occasion, the spam messages have gone to just the same four recipients, all members of this forum.  This makes me wonder whether the problem is at this end, rather than mine.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the site, you may be correct. About once every three months I get an email from my wife or vice versa asking for gift cards. The names originate from the website of our overseeing body (we work together) - where our names and a few others are listed. The actual email is never correct just the name has been harvested.

Last month we received one from a fellow that we all know has been dead for half a century - but his name has been listed on the same website.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scam email using forum member's address - by jpsmit - 13-12-2020, 11:33 PM