The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic fuel pumps
I see lots of (suspiciously) cheap new electronic fuel pumps offered on eBay, has anyone had experience using one with an Austin 7 engine?
I’m thinking fuel pressure, pump noise and overall reliability.
(I’m 12v pos earth).
Many thanks,
John.
Most (all?) modern cars are negative earth, and if you really mean electronic it is usually important to get the earth right. Sorry, I have no experience of such pumps. I do use an MGB pump (pressure type, not suck) on my Ulsteroid, and it has been reliable for 18 years.
Do you mean the small cube shaped pumps? The genuine ones are made by Facet (previously Bendix), and IIRC are available as a "low pressure" option suitable for use with SU etc. carbs; You need to choose the earthing to match what you have. Facet pumps do seem reliable but aren't especially cheap. The Chinese knock offs -which look absolutely identical and often sold as "Facet type" don't have a good reputation for reliability.

BTW, one thing with these pumps is that unlike an SU pump which only ticks when it's moving fuel, the Facet pumps tick all the time. Unlikely to be an issue with an A7 where there are plenty of other noises going on once the car is running. Using the optional rubber mounting kit is a worthwhile idea on quieter cars.

SU pumps are available with the Hall Effect option (it eliminates the pump's contact breakers which always seem to need cleaning at the most inconvenient time) in either positive or negative earth options.
Good morning all. I have just fitted an SU pump to a car I was recommissioning.

However I did fit an inertia switch as I am concernrd by the number of car fires that seem to becoming increasingly common.
The old mechanical pump will stop when the engine stops but as long as there is a power supply the electric pump will carry on working.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Do check the output pressure of these pumps as many are designed for modern fuel injection systems. Vintage carb float and needle valve need to be in perfect condtion with viton or similar tip to hold back more than 3psi. Spend money on a big fancy pump and then more money on a pressure regulator?
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Hi John

On my first special I was penny pinching and fitted an £18 Facet copy.  It ticked annoyingly as soon as you switched on, provided too much pressure and flooded the SU. A variable regulator helped as did rubber mountings but I wouldn’t use one again.

I think you can buy new SU pumps (at a price I know) and I would use one of these if I was needing a pump now. (Both my cars have gravity feed tanks).

Cheers

Howard
I've used three Facet pumps on three cars. Sound and reliable but a tendency to tick when the tank is low and, strangely, in hot weather.
The only problem I've come across is that the delivery pressure can be too high and two needed a regulator as the float chambers on the carbs were too sensitive as they were designed for gravity feed.
Remember the SU is not a lift pump it works best below the fuel level close to the tank.
Its better at pushing than sucking !! ( I used to know a girl like that now was she called SU ? )
The solid state conversion is also worthwhile.
SU electric pumps are well suited to SU and small carbs not designed to take anything over 3lb pressure without flooding. Look at the number fitted by Austin/Morris/Riley etc. over decades. The pressure and flow suit the carb design. A single LP unit will be fine for a 7. Yes more expensive that a noisyFacet/Facet knock off, which have higher pressure than ideal without a regulator anyway, but you can get all the parts and should last for years.
A Morris 1000 pump pulls from a rear tank, and is mounted well above fuel tank level so surely would be a good choice?