The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Cam follower pitting
(07-12-2020, 11:51 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi gene.

ill be well below others doing the split nut.
ill be well below others machining down high tensile bolts.

can we have a guessing game, and see what people feel a new set of 8 followers will cost.

i have a price im going to stick with, but id be interested to see were people feel prices should be.

all are welcome to join in.

thanks tony

£100?
Has anyone explained the original pits>Are the origianals cast steel? Or had it been built up by weldingI am astonished these are in short supply. just how many have the special builders ruined?
Hi All,

Just to add fuel to the fire.

I have always used worn pitted followers to be reprofiled as it gives them a new life.
So special builders recyle not ruin Big Grin Its not only special buiders that reprofile followers and cams.

I am in the fortunate postion of having more than enough cam followers from various engines dismantled over the last 46 years.
(Father and Son )
I will have a few split ones kicking around as well. 

I did have 13 cylinder blocks at one time !!!  I might have added some more to the pile since I last counted them up.
So eight followers from each engine block.
well charles, nobody else wanted to have a guess so it looks like you are the closest Big Grin

here is what i had in mind.

set of 8 tappets £15.00
set of 8 split locking nuts £15.00
set of 8 cam followers £40.00 

i know people usually want to charge £40.00 ish to reprofile originals. plus postage each way. KC suggested if he hunts at the jumbles he can find a set of clean originals for £8 to £10.

so my hope is you austin 7 boys will see this as a cheap price? and thats for new, not pitted old ones.

it leaves me room to do bulk discounts for the engine rebuild world.

and still take a profit, without being greedy for myself.

hopefully that way, everyone is happy. and the seven world remains an affordable one.

tony
It’s an absolute bargain Tony, thank you.
Hi Tony 

Now I’ve seen the price I’m more than happy with jumping in on an order. I should have a Phoenix crank by April so hope they’ll be ready by then?

Cheers

Howard
Hi Tony
Will the sports ones be shorter as in the reground versions of the originals, or the same height and so not needing the guides to be shortened?

Then, if it becomes a straight choice between with either design, it comes back to the question as to whether the sports profile helps a standard engine more than it increases wear? Been discussed many times and I think the consensus was that the benefits of the open sports profile is worth using.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
thanks R
thanks howard.

thought you would like that.

tony.
Me too, Tony
Alan Fairless
A bargain, Tony. Can I pre-order two complete sports sets please?

Steve