Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
RN Scuttle Mounted Fuel Tank "A Baffling Problem"
#11
If you are worried about movement and rattles between the tank and body then use butyl sealant tape. Also useful for non permanent joins between bolt on panels. Prevents electrolytic corrosion when bolting ali to steel. Available in different sizes from the usual outlets.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Reply
#12
As I said in my earlier post, felt pads were placed behind the tank. They were in the areas where there are indents in the panelling - two long pieces across the car and two short pieces vertically. There was some light surface corrosion in centre of the area behind the tank but not where there the felt pads were. I will look at using butyl or something similar. Thanks
Reply
#13
My 32 was the same. No corrosion, but original paint in the area. Replaced with non absorbent closed foam type pads cut to shape...should be good for another 90 odd years!
Reply
#14
No felt behind our tanks but the space was full of leaves and decades of debris.
Reply
#15
My RN’s tank has been suspended away from the scuttle base for the last 17 years, ie it is hanging on the 4 bolts.
Reply
#16
Thumbs Up 
I thought I should perhaps "complete" the story of the RN scuttle mounted tank. I took the advice proffered and gave the tank to a specialist fabricator to repair. He was experienced with automotive fuel tanks but was now mostly working on canal boats. He soaked the tank over Christmas to make it safe. In the new year he started the repair. The plan was to fix back the baffle in its original place but to gain access meant removing one end cap of the tank. This end caps were so well fixed and was in such good condition, he asked if it was actually necessary to refix the loose baffle. He could "letter-box" the back of the tank and remove it more easily and with less damage  

Since Harvey had been operating without a baffle in the tank for some time I went for that option - it appeared to make sense. So a week or so later the tank was returned with baffle removed. The tank had been pressure tested and some small issues with the top seam had been made good with solder. I then painted the tank with several coats of smooth Hammerite and set about installation. 

Picking up on the discussion about mounting the tank and what to use as padding.  I made some pads from 5 mm closed-cell butyl foam purchased via eBay at little cost. They should do the job and the rest of the pack will get used sometime.

Many thanks for the discussion and help.

         
Reply
#17
My RL tank is also suspended from the 4 bolts, not particularly touching anywhere.

If I had your problem I would lop a lump out of the back of the tank to sort, and solder on an external patch of oversize material.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)