The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Roof.
I am about to start replacement of my ARR Ruby roof:

Please will someone post  photos of a Ruby roof taken from the rear of the car: I am unsure what the gap between the fixed fabric section and the edge of the roof recess should be, if this gap should be filled with sealant and also whether the top of the vinyl cover on the fixed section should be flush with the steel roof, or above or below.

Thanks

Ian
Ian
Detailed explanations plus photos for your sunroof are on the forum.
Just search sunroof.
Regards
Tim
You are correct, there is lots of stuff (on here and the old forum) but not a detailed photo taken from the rear a far as I am aware. Unless you can point me at one

Thanks
Dennis Sweeny picture attachments clearly show rear view.
However advice from professional restorers use alloy sheet for the fixed part.
Martin Prior has been very helpful with advice for my roof.
Also supplies all the timber if you require.
Yes, I have Dennis Sweeney's photos and they are very useful indeed. His photo of the rear roof is close to what I want, however, even when enlarged (partly due to the light colour of the car) it is not possible to see the gap (if any) between the fixed fabric rear of the sunroof and the edge of the metal roof recess.

Ian
Ian have you looked at the papers I posted that showed details of how the roof for Rubies should be restored.
Sorry I am not exactly sure what detail you are actually looking for.
The frame I built when fully covered with roofing material sat in the recess with a gap all around the edge of about 1/8” .
Once the it was all screwed into place it was sealed with a goo that I purchased from Woolies, this stuff never hardens, and the notes for use do say it can be painted.
If you can let me know exactly what you need I will check what photos I have to see if I can help on anyway.
Denis S
Dennis,

You have actually answered my question. "1/8" all round and filled with sealant. Would it be possible to post/send me a photo of your roof taken from above at the rear showing how the fixed portion of the roof fits in the recess (with the sunroof shut). Also, so I can see how it follows the curve of the roof and its position regards the level of the roof. I have the instructions which you posted previously; these are very helpful indeed.

Thanks

Ian
If you have all of the parts, the gap should set itself. About 1/8" all round is correct. We bed the rear panel onto sealant when pulling it down. The rear section should be completely flush with the level of the steel roof and follows the curves exactly.

This shows everything in place bar the vinyl covering, which goes below the tracks, but over and then round and under the flat steel strips before the frame is screwed down from underneath.

This shows an RP, but the Ruby roof is identical.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beautiful work Martin, I used all the original metalwork but it was like a patchwork quilt when finished and took one hell of a lot of persuasion to settle into an acceptable contour, but it’s there and works.
Yes I did bed the lot onto sealant as you mention and as described in the papers, then sealed all around the edges. Woolies sealant in a grey colour which fortunately matched the body colour and so have not tried to paint over it.
Ian, hopefully Martin has supplied sufficient info, but if you need anything else please let me know.
Cheers Denis S
Thanks all, very helpful.. I probably have enough info now, though I would be happier with a photo of a Ruby roof.. :-)

Thanks Martin & Denis.