The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.5/16 Sports Rods
Over the past few weeks Dad has kept himself busy digging through his stash of boxes and refurbishing various bits, he's worked his way through the generators & later starters and is currently building bacon slicer assemblies.

One of the things that came to light was a set of 1.5/16 Sports rods. We were always under the impression that sports rods were 1.5" ??

These are a matched set and come from engine 107967, unlikely that after market rods would have been stamped with the engine number. They are numbered 1;2;3;4 but also have 2 other numbers which we are not sure of ??
  • 107967   98    7     1 - where the 1 is obviously the rod number
  • 107967   100  7     2
  • 107967   24    7     3
  • 107967   28    7     4
What to the other numbers mean ??

We're currently running standard remetalled rods at 6000 rpm in the supercharged special, we presume that these would be a better option, after crack testing & polishing obviously

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   Dimensions.jpg (Size: 120.21 KB / Downloads: 495)
.jpg   Sport Rods.jpg (Size: 129.79 KB / Downloads: 496)
.jpg   Rods 1 & 2.jpg (Size: 132.97 KB / Downloads: 497)
.jpg   Rod 3.jpg (Size: 117.44 KB / Downloads: 495)
.jpg   Rod 4.jpg (Size: 87.2 KB / Downloads: 498)
107967 was fitted in supercharged Ulster, chassis number 111654, dispatched for export on 9th July 1930:

The notes read: Leatherette, L H tail lamp, kilo speedometer, Body to have coat of primer only, Black wings
Most importantly check the little end size. 
There is a design fault with this type of rod and they are invariably worn oversize.
Mike that's fantastic information, that EA must have been shipped to South Africa. <EDIT> although saying that why the KMH speedo.... probably a Continental export instead

Noted - thanks Robert

Aye
Greig
The little ends are on the light side and become oval with use.
On my Ulster engine I reamed them out to 13mm and hardchromed the
fully floating gudgeon pins to suit..
Geoff
I would be interested in the spacing of the big end bolts centre to centre as a comparison to the 1 1/2" sports rods which I have ?
Is it possible that the same rods are used but with thicker white metal to use with 1 5/16 crank ??

Cheers Richard
We have 1 1/2 Sports rods for the Type "65" crank so when I get back into the workshop again I can take some comparative measurements for you

Aye
Greig
Hi Dickie, the 1 and 5/16 Ulster rods have a smaller BE housing, in other words they are different
Must confess took the 1 1/2 crank and rods out of the ulster and replaced for a Phoenix. When considering how precious the original pressure cases are and cost of rebuilding an engine new crank and rods are a must in my book! Simply not worth the thought of a breakage.

Interestingly I know of at least 3 of the SA ulsters now in uk.... there was talk. S I saw pics years ago of one further north..... wonder if any are left or if all have made it home.....
There are quite a few Ulsteroids out here now, but I only know of 2 supposed originals and neither have been together for 50+ years and the owners flatly refused to sell

Aye
Greig