The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy Door / Boot Hinges
Does anyone have detail drawings of 'correct' Nippy door & boot hinges please?
Hi Chris.
I am sure that the casting used is the same as on Box Saloon doors with just the length and hole centres changed.
I can do some measuring on the 65 for you if required.

www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-coachfittings-and-body-parts-hinge

Cheers Richard
On my Nippy the door hinges are attached by two set bolts to both the doors and the body. My RL saloon uses three screws to body and doors, machine screws into the door pillar, wood screws to the doors.
Richard,

Thanks for that - I have nothing to compare to.
Also I hadn't yet found those at Vintage Supplies (- possibly the same ones Jamie stocks, but more selection).
If it's not too much trouble some basic measurements would be much appreciated.

John,

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure that's the original arrangement though. I think (ready to be corrected) they originally screwed into the wood of the door posts, but over time the wood rotted and owners have found other, possibly more secure ways to do it.
Hello Chris
My 65 is the one restored by Chris Keevill. When I spoke to him he was at pains to stress that the door furniture was exactly correct. The car is not at home at present, but I am happy to go and take some photos and measure up if you want. Let me know.
Colin
That's very kind of you Colin, thanks - pm sent.
I'm sure Charles was going to do a post on this, Chris... perhaps ring him as he's close by and staying in UK for the winter...
Hi Chris,

I am sure that either 652 or 596 will suit the Nippy they just need to be cut and drilled to suit.
It is unlikely that Austin made the hinges themselves and they probably used the same pattern on the Box Saloon.
The door locks were a bought in item as well.
I'm in the market for new hinges for our '65" so would appreciate some pictures & measurements as well

Aye
Greig
Chris, as promised.

Photos are of my 65, chassis number 193400, 17th April 1934

Door hinges:

Lower hinge distance from hinge pin to hole centres 1 1/8"
Upper hinge ditto 5/8"

Height of hinges 1 1/2"

The photo of the boot hinge has snuck in as the second photo

The last photo shows a defect in my car, in that the rear mudguard is 3" back from the door opening and should be 1 1/2" in order to centre the wheel up in the arch. A job for the future.

If this doesn't do the trick for you I am happy to post my hinges to you so you have a pattern.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)