The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stringing steering wheels...
I would like to string a steering wheel - does anyone do this or have some practical tips about what to use and how to successfully complete it please?
Ruairidh, I presume that you mean winding string around the rim after the celluloid has fallen off. I did this with the steering wheel on my special back in the early eighties. I cleaned the rim with wire wool, and then spead araldite on it and wound parcel string carefully round, making sure each turn was packed tight against the previous one, spreading glue and winding until I had gone all the way round I tied the two ends in a knot that was just to the one side of a spoke, so that it wouldst get in the way I then varnished the whole wheel. I worked quite well, but I found that the string rim was a bit uncomfortable when driving long distances, so used gloves.

Hope this helps!
Hi Ruairidh,

There's this:
https://tricyclecaristes.1fr1.net/t765-v...ght=volant
In french, sorry, but the step by step image down in the page is explanatory I'm sure.
Good luck!

[Image: captur10.jpg]

[Image: img_4810.jpg]

Any help needed about the language, just ask! My pleasure.

By the way I'll be you, I'll train my bunch of young slaves to learn that...
My Son in Law does this, Ruairidh. Give me a call if you want to have it done for you or, if you want to try DIY, talk to Malcolm.

Steve
Hi Ruairidh
Have you considered the leather steering wheel cover available on eBay. I fitted one to my RN wheel and am very pleased with the result, it's very comfortable and looks 'proper'
Regards
Barry Townsend
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
(22-11-2020, 12:46 PM)Barry Townsend Wrote: Hi Ruairidh
Have you considered the leather steering wheel cover available on eBay. I fitted one to my RN wheel and am very pleased with the result, it's very comfortable and looks 'proper'
Regards
Barry Townsend
Might you have a link to the specific eBay seller - and perhaps a picture of the cover installed?
After winding on the chosen string I applied Satin Yacht Varnish, allowed it to harden, then rubbed it down with dry wet&dry, which removes some of the stray fibres, then repeated until I had a smooth and comfortable surface.

Regards, Mark.
Hi Ruairidh 

You end up using a lot of cord  Smile.  Cant quite remember how much I used but 10m springs to mind.

I cheated a bit and used superglue to start and end the runs.

Very satisfying when done and makes for comfortable grip.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Photo 
  Hi Ruairidh
I've taken a picture of the cover if it's of any interest

Just type in Austin 7 steering wheel cover in the search box and it will come up straight away

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Presumably these..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUSTIN-7-...Sw2gxYppXp