The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLEX 30MOV
I have a Solex 30MOV which has the conventional throttle butterfly, but I also have a Solex which externally looks very similar to the MOV however it has a barrel throttle instead of the butterfly.

Is anyone able to tell me what type it is please and what it would have originally been used on. The MOV is plain bronze but the mystery one is Nickel plated.

MOV on right, mystery on left

Markings on float chamber of mystery one

View inside with throttle closed

View inside partly open

View inside fully open

I have looked through the article by Gerry Flockhart in 2019B but no mention in that. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Marcus
Hi Marcus, I would contact Robert Foreman who is sometimes on the Forum. He is very knowledge about the various incarnations of the Solex carbs, dare I say the Solex guru. He can likely determine what you have.

Erich in Seattle( I should say, Mukilteo, but that might leave a few scratching heads)
Thanks Erich,

I don't know Roberts contact details but he may see this and be able to tell me what I have.

Cheers
Marcus
Hello Marcus, 
        It is a model D. This is the barrel throttle version which is the precursor of the M type followed by the MO.
   It would have been fitted to Alvis 12/50's and other cars of a similar capacity. 
Hope this is of help. 
    Robert.
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for that. I was told that it was suitable for the later models of Gorden England Brooklands that were made up until late in 1926. However other people have said that the Brooklands was fitted with the MOV.

Do you know if Solex were producing the MOV in 1926 or was it introduced later.

Many Thanks

Marcus
Hello Marcus, 
     I would say that the MOV was introduced around 1928,  the M type is earlier. 
  From all the carburettor information on Austin's that I have the giveaway is a Brooklands had a jet marked just by the size. Whereas the Ulster is size x 41. The Ulster jet will not fit an earlier carburettor and vice versa. 
  The M type jet and carrier were also fitted to the D type which is more likely used on the Brooklands. 

Best wishes, 
                           Robert.
Hi Robert,

Thanks, that clear things up for me, if the MOV didn't come out until 1928 that can't be correct for a Brooklands so I will stick with the Model D.

The jet in the Model D is marked 105, do you know what was fitted to the Brooklands. I guess a good starting point if there is no information would be to start with the 41 size fitted to the Ulster. The choke tube is 21mm marked 30-21.

The jet in the MOV is marked 115-44.

Both have 47gm floats so I presume that for modern petrol I will need to adjust the needle valve a little to get the level correct.

Can you suggest where is the best place to get new parts for these? Both are missing the Banjo for the petrol pipe and one is also missing the bolt for the banjo and both ideally need new filter gauze.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Marcus
Marcus, 
   the Brooklands was fitted with 110 main jet and 23mm choke for road use. 
For racing it used a 130 main jet and 24mm choke. 
   I can supply jets and choke tubes for all models and sometimes original petrol unions which are larger than Zenith ones.
Thanks Robert

I have sent you a Private Message.

Cheers
Marcus
I think that the D type was used up to 1925, so if you want to be strictly accurate you would maybe want an MV with butterfly throttle.

I used a D type on my cup model when we first put it together. They are beautifully made and the casting seems to be of  finer quality than the later models, but it had the same problems with getting a smooth transition from slow running to main jet as the MV does. The throttle pedal travel is also rather long as it has a longer  lever on the spindle and I had endless problems with the grub screw which retain the barrel assembly coming loose, although that could probably be cured.

I would suggest using the MOV if you have one, the mixture bleed screw makes it easier to set up for smoother acceleration, although others will confirm that this is not necessarily a complete panacea!