The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing Indicator Installation Design
The indicators work with the engine running, but the dynamo isn't charging for some reason. It may have been like this for a while as I have it set low, haven't been out much, and have been topping up the battery with a charger. The cut-out is not operating. So am investigating this before doing anything further on the flashers...
I have all LED lights including indicators I have never had problems except for a failure of an electronic flasher unit. It is essential that all earthing is sound.
Flashing bulbs are OK. The timing is done electronically and will be very accurate. If switched on together they will stay perfectly in sync. Also no flasher unit is needed.
With flashing bulbs available for both the semaphore indicators and the individual ones there should be no problems. Just power them all from one source.
You'd need to talk to LED suppliers to confirm that the flashing bulbs for semaphores have the same flash rate as the others.
Jim
Rick F, I think you will be ok with the boys in blue I doubt many know the indicator law in depth. Most trust that vehicle makers know the law and construct the vehicle accordingly. If you do fall foul. Speak correctly and politely to the officer in order that you do not fail the attitude test.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Anyone tried this sort of solution? (Magnetic lights with wireless controller)

Can then take them off when not in use, and use on multiple cars if you have more than one.

https://www.wish.com/product/5eba3ec6dd9...&share=web
    Hi, has anyone else tried these? Sequential led with adhesive back. These are about 3inches long but bigger ones are available. Wired with an illuminated 3way switch & working well so far.
(17-11-2020, 06:54 PM)jonblob33 Wrote: Hi, has anyone else tried these? Sequential led with adhesive back. These are about 3inches long but bigger ones are available. Wired with an illuminated 3way switch & working well so far.
Might you have a link to the seller?
That seems to be a good solution. I fitted motorbike flashers to my ZA Magnette, but they are not very obvious & on the Autobahn they feel inadequate. If these magnetic ones are visible enough they sound perfect. ...and transferable! They don't seem to be RF controlled though. I will try a set of those RF type sold on Ali Baba .....other suppliers are available!
I will report back
(17-11-2020, 06:27 PM)austin Wrote: Anyone tried this sort of solution? (Magnetic lights with wireless controller)

Can then take them off when not in use, and use on multiple cars if you have more than one.

https://www.wish.com/product/5eba3ec6dd9...&share=web
This sort of thing is usually just a few  dollars each if you order in bulk - but not in this case - so they might indeed be well made.  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/W...74e1ficgoq
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253934808020
This should work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282751892517
This is the switch I used. …
Now there is a working dynamo on the Ruby again, I have refitted the flashing festoon LED indicators.  These flashing LEDs are designed to be mounted directly into the trafficators but I have put them in conventional amber lamps front and back that are wired directly into the trafficator circuit at the junction box under the bonnet.  This means that they work from the original switch.  They seem bright enough for general use but are not highly visible in full sunlight - something of which to be aware if thinking of using this arrangement in sunnier places than the north of England.  Brighter options have been mentioned by others above.

Despite fitting earth wires, the LEDs did not flash correctly with the brake lights on utilising battery power alone because of the significant current taken by the filament bulbs.  This must be reducing the voltage in the trafficator circuit to about 5 volts - at this voltage the LEDs stop flashing and just glow faintly.  This has been cured by disconnecting and removing the trafficators from the car which reduces the total current being drawn.  The LEDs now flash as they should even when the brakes are applied, with or without help from the dynamo.

I can tell the difference when driving around - other drivers are seeing the indicators and reacting accordingly.  It is a shame to lose the trafficators, but the LED modification is easily reversible, and driving in town now feels more relaxed.