The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing Indicator Installation Design
Never forget that the only thing a flashing indicator ever tells you is that the lamp is working!
At least when it is ON - that last flash might be its last?

Hopefully, a reliably flashing indicator opens up the possibility that it is telling you something relevant - but, as you say, it is vital to drive defensively and not to make assumptions - don't put yourself in harm's way.
I had a small 12v battery from my late father in law's stair lift. I have used 6v tungsten filament bulbs for indicators before which don't achieve their full brightness quickly enough. I ran a separate indicator circuit for the 12v indicators on my 6v car. I am staying away from LED bulbs as they seem more bother than they are worth.
As an experiment, this has proved interesting - now know more about LEDs, but still plenty to find out. If the indicators prove reliable, then it looks as if they will help - as a concession to the age we are living in - 3rd decade of the 21st century.
I find LEDs very satisfactory, and this may be more relevant if you are using a seperate battery supply which is not charged from the car, since their consumption is very low. The important thing is that LEDs require very good earthing and supply connections, and wiring should be kept well clear of the HT ignition circuits. I have been complemented on the effectiveness of my LED indicators on my Riley, by those who did not realise that I have LEDs.
Colin do you have any problems with the old indicators when the flashing L E Ds are working. I fitted my indicators before L E Ds were popular and found that the semaphore indicators were going up and down in sequence with the flashers. I had to fit a relay to stop this. I am now considering an update to L E Ds.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(22-04-2021, 10:07 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: ... 3rd decade of the 21st century.

Crikey! When did that happen? I'm still living in the mid to late twentieth century  Rolleyes
John
There was no effect on the trafficators - as the LEDs take so little current I don't think they knew they were there! However, I can see that the indicators are working from within the car as there is a very slight blip on the ammeter when they are on.

Mike
1st January 2021. It's a shock, isn't it? (Watching the videos on Youtube of Reid Railton's blasting round Goodwood in 2020 yesterday, I wondered if he ever thought they would still be doing that 80 years after he designed them?)
(22-04-2021, 09:06 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I had a small 12v battery from my late father in law's stair lift. I have used 6v tungsten filament bulbs for indicators before which don't achieve their full brightness quickly enough. I ran a separate indicator circuit for the 12v indicators on my 6v car. I am staying away from LED bulbs as they seem more bother than they are worth.

Dave - just to be clear: you are driving 6-volt bulbs from a 12-volt battery? I'd thought of doing this as I rebuild PL. Is the battery a lithium-iron type - the sort that keeps its charge for what seems to be years?
Tony, I had this lead acid (?)12v battery which is about120mm x 60mm x75mm from a stair lift so I ran an entirely isolated 12v indicator circuit just for the indicators. The rest of the car is 6v ie dynamo,cutout all lighting excluding indicators. I had an incident with a besuited businessman in his behemoth Audi on Mortimer Road intent on getting back to his mansion after work on a friday teatime. He obviously did not understand why my right arm was protruding from my A7. Fortunately I could see he wasn't slowing down so pulled onto the grass verge out of his way.
I resolved that to survive now was the.time to fit modern indicators.