The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket
What do you guys use inbetween head and gasket,  nothing,  grease,  hylomar ?
All of those, but currently - meaning the last year or so, Loctite SI 5990 Copper Silicone.

In conjunction with a torque wrench set to 20 ft. lbs., checked every day for a week or so, and occasionally after that.

Both equally important, in my opinion.
If you are only using it for ordinary use (no competition stuff) Then why not do what car mechanics have done for decades and have done no doubt thousands of Austin Sevens engines. A thin smear of GP grease to both sides of the gasket and tighten the head down tight working from the centre stud outwards around the head. Then run the engine until hot and relighted whilst still warm. That is if it’s a cast iron head. If alloy tighten the same way and run the engine until hot but let it COOL FULLY before retightening. For both heads the tightening order is the same.

John mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Is this a new sealer you've found ?

Slack Alice is this a new sealer you've found ?
I’ve used loctite 5990 (aka 5920) for as long as I remember - at least 15 probably 20 years. Must be over 100 engines, some competition some not. I agree for ordinary use grease works if everything else is in order, but for a few quid from Halfords why would you not use something better if it’s available?
Alan Fairless
Grease
I was using grease, but am a recent convert to Loctite 5990 after reading posts on this forum.

Alan
I've always used grease. Never had any problems. ( but I do make sure all surfaces are flat on a surface grinder before use). Perhaps that's why I've never had a problem.

It's easy to remove the head.

And clean.

And reuse gasket if necessary.

I'm always open to something else though.

But with the loctite , is the head easily removed. Cleaned etc.

Thanks tony
The head is a little more difficult to remove but not enough to be a problem. Cleaning no more difficult than without. Thing is not to use too much. I only use this stuff on cylinder heads but since I started using it I only remember buying two tubes, and I’ve done a lot of engines.
Alan Fairless
(14-11-2020, 06:36 PM)Alan Wrote: I’ve used loctite 5990 (aka 5920) for as long as I remember - at least 15 probably 20 years.  Must be over 100 engines, some competition some not.  I agree for ordinary use grease works if everything else is in order, but for a few quid from Halfords why would you not use something better if it’s available?
Oh dear. I'm agreeing with Alan again. Like him I've done it this way for years without problems and see no reason to change. If it works on competition engines, for what it costs, why would not go that way?

Steve