The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting windscreen glass into the frame
Having got the new glass and re-plated frames for the Top Hat, I thought I’d have a go at fitting the glass to the bottom section of the windscreen tonight. 

I’d previously measured the original rubber “U” section that held in the old glass, it was 1/16” (1.58mm) thick. I managed to get some 1.5mm rubber strip and I formed it into a “U” section inside the frame, then put some washing up liquid on the glass and pushed it in. By the time I got the glass in, the rubber had popped out, so I tried again several times until everything was covered in washing up liquid and I was in danger of dropping the glass!
I’ve washed the liquid off the rubber, frame and glass and will try tomorrow to glue the rubber strip into the frame in a few places but does anyone have any other ideas?

I know that some people do this job with silicon sealer or glass bedding butyl rubber sealer but I’ve never used this before, having struggled in the past with glazing rubber strip and I remember the job being a real b*gg*r. 

Anyone care to share ideas?

Messages In This Thread
Fitting windscreen glass into the frame - by Parazine - 09-11-2020, 09:42 PM