The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Will the problems never end, vol.2
David Attenborough was most outspoken about the major cause of climate change, population increase. since Greta Thunberg appeared on the scene he has been noticeably silent on the subject. Who has silenced him?
The third world does not want to live in poverty it wants - and will get - the conveniences of modern life. So, as a greater percentage of the 3.9 billion people from China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil Nigeria, Bangladesh and lots of smaller countries plug in their air-conditioning, washing machines, irons, electric cookers, computers, TVs, massage chairs and hospital scanners, etc, our puny concerns are but a puff of dust in the wind; we are but 0.9% of the 7.674 billion total. The only slight hope is that as living standards increase, family size is known to fall, so there might just be a limit to how far all this can go.
I once saw a long winded but entirely logic based assessment that our population would top out at 12 billion.
Whilst what we can do will have little effect on the planet as a whole, there is a strong argument for doing the right thing for pollution per capita, rather than pointing at people living in poverty in a Chinese village and telling them that they can't have a washing machine because of the damage it will do to the planet (to note that isn't what i am saying Tony is saying, but some do).

Having said all that I currently drive an 8 year old diesel C3. I have no idea what I would buy if it broke tomorrow, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be electric. Travelling long distances regularly means electric simply would not be practical and I struggle to see how that practicality would change in coming years for anyone but city commuters, who could probably use public transport if it isn't cancelled first.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I neglected to mention that over the course of my two last longer trips, I passed four Tesla and one Ionic ambling along in the inside lane. I wonder why that was?
"Not to worry, in 2020 the Chinese built over 50 new coal-fired power stations and plan many more. India, Indonesia and many other countries - backed by Chinese money - also plan an expansion of cheap, coal-fired energy."

Where is Greta Thunderbox ranting and raving about this  Huh

In Australia we are doing our bit- shutting down 4 or 5 remaining much needed coal fired power stations and relying on solar, wind and batteries.

The wind drops (or rises ) the sun sets and the batteries last an hour or so.  Huh

If we all suddenly converted to electric cars the power generation system would collepse  Angry

We do appear to be suffering Clmate Change and have to prepare but shutting coal and letting planes fly and stripping forests seems to be misdirected.
Apparently steam railways, steam boats, traction engines etc are to be banned from burning UK mined coal. Slap on an import ban and all the pollution, warming etc has been fixed. They could of course go electric?
"Saving the planet" requires a sea change in the material expectations of those who live in the "developed" world, and of those who aspire to similar living standards. Buying a different brand at the supermarket isn't going to do it. Buying an electric car is not going to do it. The aim is fundamentally at odds with an economic system which depends on selling us stuff. My personal view is that civilisation as we know it will be over before any of that comes to pass. All previous civilisations have peaked and then declined into obscurity; I don't doubt we're on the same path.
Thing is, it isn't going to happen in our lifetime so just make the most of it. If you stop listening to the doom mongers you'll be fine.
Trouble is Reckless the doom mongers plan to take away all of our toys... Some of us have a few years to go yet!
Gareth Southgate apparently is going to sort it all out.