The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Will the problems never end, vol.2
(08-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: John Fitch drove his Pearl in excess of 60’000 miles one year back in the late 1960s - so I understand...

John has corrected me, see below:

"Hi Ruairidh,
There seems to be a bit of correspondence about cars doing high mileages and good old me got mentioned.
For the record in 1971 my box saloon with me as the saddle sore driver completed 30,780 miles. At that time I did 30.000 miles in my company Morris Minor
And about 10,000 in my company transit. So I did a lot of miles"

Has anyone done more I wonder, incredible amount?
In the late 'seventies and early 'eighties I maintained a pretty steady 10,000 miles a year in the RP, but for six months in 1981 I made a daily round trip commute of 150 miles, so adding "SDP" about 800 miles a week. Pro-rata the equivalent of 40,000 a year, but of course in reality only half of that. The car didn't let me down once.
It’s an impressive amount none the less Martin.

I covered 60’000 miles in an RN over four years - it did let me down a few times mind!
Heaven knows how many miles my RP has done in the 49 years of my ownership, well over 100,000 I recon. Used as daily transport by either me or my 1st wife from 1972 till the early 80@s when she was using it for the daily commute from Walsall to Smethwick. If you don't count that she put it on its side once and the crank broke once when I was driving it, it always got to the destination (under its own power). Not used much in the last 20 years though.
WILL the problems EVER end.....well I certainly live in hope....you'll be familiar with the LAST ONE***....

Many will recall my electrification of 'Frankie' a 1933 RP.........jeez!!! After 2 years it is finally on the road and IT IS FABULOUS. Two years is a long time, but it has not simply been spent on one car.....I hate working in the rain, the cold and underneath it....Grrrrrr.   Some may remember the 'stick' I had for even having the audacity of 'converting' to electric, but I have to report IT'S FABULOUS and I recommend it.  Quiet (to state the bloody obvious) quick - so quick the brakes could hardly stop a reborn 'Frankie'. 

A beautiful renovated 2 tone body shell. New door cards, new leather seats, powder coated wheels, new tyres. Fabulous bright headlights and a tricky concealed rear lighting system. 

The 'Europeans' who supplied the 3 phase electric motor, controller and batteries were not helpful. However, the controller is made by 'Curtis' and such an International Company were more than helpful. I bought the software and the means of tweaking the Torque, the 'soft' accelleration, and the top speed. 

Driving straight onto the rear axle torque tube flange via a new prop' shaft proved a good idea. However, the first DRIVE revealed an interesting matter....... It wasn't a slipping clutch (that the vendors friend was trying to fix all those years ago????) Take One... the prop shaft turned but it had all the feeling sof a slipping clutch - BUT there is not clutch!!!! Quite simply, the 'D' key in the half shaft had sheared into two parts***........ (A massive thanks to Dave the Mann who investigated the phenomenon, lent a new outer hub, key and gaskets). Take two was a very welcome success - apart from not being able to stop!!!

If anyone wishes to keep up2date my blog is at www.immortal-gems.co.uk and also www.vintage-ev.uk (a new venture offering American motors and controllers) and also electric power for Canal Boats.........
Sounds very interesting and clever conversion, but a couple of questions: what's the rationale behind doing it -and how do you cope without engine braking when descending a long, steep hill, regenerative braking?
And the range is ?
I believe with it's present battery pack 100 miles. There is another electric Seven near me and the regenerative braking is impressive.
i.e. we wouldn't have made it to Beaulieu
Ah the whole of the roof is a solar panel for battery charging.