The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" battery can't spin starter ???
Having acquired 2 brand new batteries about 18 months ago, due to 'things' going on, 
I ve  only just got around to finishing my Mk1 Ruby rebuild, The batteries were on a trickle charge on and off, and have enough juice to power lights/coil /etc
but just kicks the starter, (that's rebuilt) then gives up the ghost.
Have I killed my batteries ???  Huh
Hi Flywheel 

Sounds a lot like a dodgy earth!  I always run an earth lead direct from the battery (or battery isolator if you are isolating the earth) to the bell housing.

Cheers

Howard
Trust me, it's not the earth, I've fitted 3. Its the battery I'm concerned about. none of the other electrical items.
Remove the spark plugs, how does it spin over ?
Do we assume you are on 6volt system. Who reconditioned your starter and are you sure it is also 6 volt and not re-conditioned as 12 volts.
Remove the starter switch on top of the starter motor and with a jump lead from the battery, touch it onto the copper contact on the starter motor - same result ?
Defo 6 volt, had the car 30 years, I did the starter and that's OK.
Done the direct contact trick, no go,
So Have I killed 2 new batteries by leaving them too long ??? as per my original question.
which make of battery are they?

tony.
What do they read on a voltmeter when charged?

Are they "gassing" when charged?

Is your charger ok?   What does it register on a voltmeter?
You need to work through systematically and eliminate possibilities. 1st thing I'd do is check whether the engine turns over freely.
I had exactly the same issue with a classic type rubber cased battery just before we went into lockdown.   As with you the car had been off the road for almost two years and I had charged the battery every couple of months.

I took it into a battery supplier who put it on charge for a few hours and then tested it.   They didn't charge for the test and I didn't buy a new battery at the time although I have since returned and bought a new "Exide" one from them.
A quick check to see if it is the battery is to turn the headlamps on and then engage the starter motor. If the lights dim to a glow, then the battery is likely to be duff.