The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliant engine and gearbox
Anyone intrigued by the Austin versus Reliant debate - I have a Reliant engine and gearbox for sale (see Sales and Wants).
(01-12-2017, 02:18 PM)Barry Wrote: Anyone intrigued by the Austin versus Reliant debate - I have a Reliant engine and gearbox for sale (see Sales and Wants).

Ho Ho!

I have 2 of each, I might be interested.
Arthur
merlinart
(01-12-2017, 02:18 PM)Barry Wrote: Anyone intrigued by the Austin versus Reliant debate - I have a Reliant engine and gearbox for sale (see Sales and Wants).

Ho Ho!

Arthur

Hello Barry

Is the engine and box still available? My RN is very sick and I just want a simple runner until I carry out a full repair.

Cheers Martin
(02-03-2018, 10:12 AM)mhacche Wrote: merlinart

Ho Ho!

Arthur

Hello Barry

Is the engine and box still available? My RN is very sick and I just want a simple runner until I carry out a full repair.

Cheers Martin
Martin, a reliant engine is not a quick fix, not interchangeable.Save the money you would have spent on this engine and spend it on your Seven.Rgds Gene
merlinart

Ho Ho!

Arthur

Hello Barry

Cheers Martin

Hi folks

What is the difficulty in fitting a reliant motor on not an RN, I’ve seen them fitted in other things
(02-03-2018, 11:01 AM)mhacche Wrote: merlinart

Ho Ho!

Arthur

Hello Barry

Cheers Martin

Hi folks

What is the difficulty in fitting a reliant motor on not an RN, I’ve seen them fitted in other things
The sump will need modifying for a start, then there are the engine and gearbox mountings to be changed. It can all be done, and has been done. I am about to get some mounting plates laser cut for one of my projects. I bought a new sump, then cut it at the front, you need to be very careful when trimming the sump to take into account the oil pump.

regards

Arthur
Sorry - engine and gearbox gone to a new home - and reported to be in excellent condition and usable
You could probably pick up a complete Reliant car as I did for around £250 or so, then get a 9 inch grinder out and reduce it! I did this and still have a complete rolling/driveable 3 wheeler chassis....and lungs full of grp dust (be carefull, wear a mask). It cost me £85 to then dump the body! In a funny way, I like the Reliant chassis and set up, but then I'm a nutter.

Arthur
(03-03-2018, 12:13 PM)merlinart Wrote: You could probably pick up a complete Reliant car as I did for around £250 or so, then get a 9 inch grinder out and reduce it! I did this and still have a complete rolling/driveable 3 wheeler chassis....and lungs full of grp dust (be carefull, wear a mask). It cost me £85 to then dump the body! In a funny way, I like the Reliant chassis and set up, but then I'm a nutter.

Arthur

Hello am new here ,please excuse my ignorance and queriosity regarding Reliant engine and gearboxes but if i dont ask i wont learn ,so are they a viable alternative to power the 7 and in my case the 8? By reading here and Wikipedia they were derived from the Austin engine in the distant past . How easy is it to transplant thanks cheers Ally
The original side valve Reliant engines were derived from Austin 7 engines and made a viable repower for those not bothered about originality. The later OHV engines are a completely different animal and nothing like an A7 engine, they can be fitted but it is not a straight forward swap. The confusion comes I believe with the 750MC's acceptance of these engines for racing specials together with 750cc Coventry Climax engines. If you are building a racing car and modifying everything an engine transplant is not really a greater hassle, in a pre existing road car maybe not such a simple task. BTW the climax engine would be my choice for an out and out 750MC special.
Black Art Enthusiast