The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door trim plywood and ali capping.
This is the best substitute I have so far found for Rexine https://www.hewitonline.com/product_p/cl-170-000.htm
R C Moss are re-manufacturing Rexine on the original Wardle Storeys' machine:

https://www.vintagebentleys.com/services/rexine/

I hate to think what the price is!
Where do you believe the aluminium strip has been shortened?
I like using leather cloth on early trim panels, I get mine here: https://ratchford.co.uk/product-category...thercloth/
(02-11-2020, 01:56 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Where do you believe the aluminium strip has been shortened?
When the cast capping is fitted in the correct place the aluminium capping comes up short. This is odd as, decades ago, I know it all fitted perfectly. It might be because the bodger who did the work installed a trim-holding screw so that the cast capping could not be fitted (as in the picture of the similarly-awful driver's door) and cut back the ali strip so that it could (it couldn't).
While the capping on the body behind the door is screwed direct to the wood - the trim panel being cut away - on the door it goes over the panel.
Out of interest, on my '29 Chummy, the door cap does go over the trim - and moves it out slightly at the back edge so it all lines up with the other half.
The pictures are out of order as the system used for attaching them has a mind of its own.

(02-11-2020, 03:19 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I like using leather cloth on early trim panels, I get mine here:  https://ratchford.co.uk/product-category...thercloth/
Thanks, Ruairidth, I'll order some. I've already another inferior piece on the way - so I'll put that aside for my great-grandchildren to use...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike

The paperwork and a certain amount of the mechanicals indicate AC, so door beading would be correct. It will be fitted if any supply suggestions are forthcoming. 

There is a learned monograph to be composed on the subject of beading round the door. A quick glance at a slim journal delivered by the postie today shows such beading on Rover, Jowett, Le Zebre, BSA, Standard and Seabrook cars. A team of historians scouring the Frech countryside do not seem to have reported many examples, despite pausing beside a clergical figure, possibly for blessings, on the church steps. Might they report on this very forum?
(02-11-2020, 07:25 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:56 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Where do you believe the aluminium strip has been shortened?
When the cast capping is fitted in the correct place the aluminium capping comes up short. 
Has it had new door skins?
The original trim panels on chummies was of 3mm beech ply covered in thin non-stretchy rexine with, I believe, no padding of any sort. Later long chassis tourers were padded with the very thinnest sheet of cotton wadding. That way you will find that the lip on the ali capping drops nicely over the the door trim panel as it should. Thin beech ply should be still available although slightly thicker ply can be used, you just need to give the edges a gently sloping chamfer to get the edges down to 3mm.
You see many replacement trim panels unfortunately made with ply that is much too thick, padded with thick foam and covered with thick stretchy vinyl, giving the effect of a 1980s DFS settee rather than a cheap and cheerful 1920s Austin 7.
The ali capping from Woolies is very nearly correct but would be even better if you were to file and polish the top surface more or less flat, rather than being slightly raised or bowed.
My 1932AG (short chassis tourer-looks like a Chummy ) had fabric (Rexine?) on the front door panels under the foam backed plastic 1960's or 1980's retrim. It was not in bad shape so I preserved it.
Good to hear that David. Original but tatty looks far better than replacement, IMHO. Cheaper than a retrim too.