The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryan Goodman photographs etc for auction
More auction searches revealed the Bryan Goodman collection up for auction, including a large collection of mainly period photographs, each marque is split into one or more lots, I'm sure we've all enjoyed these photographs over the years in magazines. I'd like to think the Archive may be able to acquire these. A shame there is only one image to represent the A7 lot.

Link to Bryan Goodman collection Austin seven photograph lot

Sorry if anyone ends up lighter in the pocket due to me pointing this out, a dangerous thing searching on auctions, genuine or online!
Just to be clear, I have been looking through this catalogue for items of interest to the Archive. There is a very obvious lot, a collection of Austin 7 photographs. Some one has kindly offered to view the lot on my behalf and, if the quality is as expected, I am hoping to secure these for the Archive. As a result, of course, they will eventually appear on the Archive web site for all to enjoy...

As a general point, any other such auctions that you come across, if you think they hold items that the Archive would be interested in, please do drop an email to the Archivist

thanks...

Hugh
Did you notice that :
Additional fees apply
35.94% Inc.VAT/sales tax
That's excellent news, from the photos I've seen over the years credited to his collection they would certainly be a worthy collection to add to the Archive. Thanks for the details of how to notify you of any further lots in the future.

The 35.94% includes an internet budding surcharge (5% plus vat or 6% I believe) so if budding on the phone, in person or by comission bid this can be reduced to the auctioneers standard buyers premium of around 30% though even this is higher than most but should be taken into account when bidding.

I look forwards to hopefully seeing them in the Archive.
36%! I should have been an auctioneer rather than an engineer!
I had noted the 30% buyers premium, which rather took my breath away.Then I noticed that they also charge the seller a further 10% premium which I thought extreme.... IIRC, Richard Edmonds charge nothing to the seller and 12% to the buyer(?)

Hugh
The buyer's premium is 25% + VAT. There's an extra 5.94% for live online bidding through thesaleroom.com. Avoid that exhorbitant extra charge by bidding live online with easyliveAuction.com (£3 whatever you buy) or risk leaving a commission bid for free, or the auctioneer may allow live phone bidding, again for no extra charge.
Auctioneer's rates for cars are usually very different to rates for other stuff. The industry norm for general artefacts is 15% seller's commission, usually plus various add-ons, and buyer's premium of 20%. All charges plus 20% VAT. You can usually reckon on 45-50% of hammer price creamed off for the benefit of the auctioneers, the VATman, the bidding platform etc. Then you'll be charged a ridiculous amount for postage - often being give no choice but to use the likes of MailBoxesEtc for the privilege and being charged £20+VAT even for a small packet
50 years ago there was no charge to the buyer and 10-15% to the seller, plus 10% VAT. How things have changed, and how do they get away with it??
how do they get away with it.

hi mick,

you were 100% on the right path until you sed that.

as in everything its been a long time since the 1970s auctions of no fees to buyers.

auctions are the same as everything in life.

ground rents have boomed.
ownershipof your own premises have boomed.
gas boomed.
electricity boomed.
internet boomed.
so the need for more staff, boomed.
and so on. and so on.

for me, what gave the auction house the chance to put fees up. was the success of ebay. and what happend there. charges went from 3% to 5% to 10% then they forced paypal amongst us, wanting another 4%.

so auction houses had the chance to push there fees from 10% to 20% and the larger auctions 20% to 30%

before you pass judgement on this auction house or any other, have a drive down there. and see what there fees have to cover????

ill be down there next week, put not for the austin 7 pictures.

like anyone i dont like the fees, but being realistic i can see why they have rissen over the years.

i bought a couple of items in edmonds earlier today, and £300 very quickly cost me £360. but if you value your money. you can very quickly add the fees into your perchases.

what im having to get used to now, is making phone bids. never done them in the past, because i thought it was just for the rich??? but with covid 19 and the way it is changing our world. im having to get used to coming away the bridesmaid on bidding over the phone.

if the archive have missed any info on the pics, im glad to report back on whats there.

tony
couldn't you just get someone to take photos of them? it's the information within them as much as the objects.
hi jonE,

i think you answered your own question???

the content as much as the object???

rescueing something for prosperity is the object, holding it in the archive for others to apreciate, is the content.

i do understand what you are saying.

but after reading the advert for the 100 aniversary, about there display from the archive. it would give the display far more clought if the original items are on display. rather than photos to show the content of the originals.

Wink