The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we guilty of being "Minor Restomods"?
'Rstomods'. Really - what can you get away with? Do our tiny modifications put a toe into this class? Perhaps the bloke putting a Honda V4 engine into his Ruby is on to something.
You have to click twice on the picture to make it large enough to read. Proof reading in the Telegraph has now sunk almost to the level of that in 500-person-circulation Guardian.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

38.6 million cars on UK roads today, that means that just about half the population are drivers - all at the same time. When you can assume that 1/3 of the population aren't old enough to drive, 1/6th too old to care about driving, another 1/6th either can't afford a car or don't drive a car or for other reasons unable to drive, it leaves about 20 million of us to drive the said 38.6 million cars. We sleep or rest for 12 hours a day, work for 7 hours a day (yes, some of us drive for work), so for 5 hours we have the chance to drive approx 2 cars (at the same time) , however I suspect that the majority of us drive for less than 2 hours a day, so why are our roads so congested ??
Each to his own, but if I wanted a modern sports car why would I pay £88,000 for an MGB when I can get a Mazda M5 for less than a third of that? And if I wanted an MGB I would want to experience the period character of the car, not some clone of a Mazda!  

The article suggests that old car ownership consists of hardship and unreliability; perhaps the author should try experiencing a well maintained old car instead of spouting nonsense that will frighten off the inexperienced. He talks of the need for a garage and workshop to maintain an old car - that may be the ideal, but most of us gained our maintenance experience by the roadside, or if we were lucky in the driveway, and that is still achievable today.
Little typo there, Tony, us lentil eating Ruby drivers read the Grauniad.
(22-10-2020, 09:24 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Little typo there, Tony, us lentil eating Ruby drivers read the Grauniad.

Blimey, I don't have a Ruby, but that still means there's two Grauniad readers on here....
(22-10-2020, 10:41 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(22-10-2020, 09:24 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Little typo there, Tony, us lentil eating Ruby drivers read the Grauniad.

Blimey, I don't have a Ruby, but that still means there's two Grauniad readers on here....

At least three - but no Ruby either

C
(22-10-2020, 06:30 AM)bob46320 Wrote: 38.6 million cars on UK roads today, that means that just about half the population are drivers - all at the same time. When you can assume that 1/3 of the population aren't old enough to drive, 1/6th too old to care about driving, another 1/6th either can't afford a car or don't drive a car or for other reasons unable to drive, it leaves about 20 million of us to drive the said 38.6 million cars. We sleep or rest for 12 hours a day, work for 7 hours a day (yes, some of us drive for work), so for 5 hours we have the chance to drive approx 2 cars (at the same time) , however I suspect that the majority of us drive for less than 2 hours a day, so why are our roads so congested ??

I guess it depends where you live. In remote Pembrokeshire we see no traffic jams, even this year where everyone staycationed. In heavily populated industrial areas the population is just bigger. The vast number of new houses / estates in these areas plus the streets kids used to play in being choked with parked Chelsea Tractors are plainly visible
The MGB and the E Type are hot rods...not in the traditional sense, just fakes.

I like my Seven just as it is the only real upgrade I have is the lights, but most wouldn’t notice...I just like the experience of driving real motoring history, not to pretend.
(22-10-2020, 11:27 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(22-10-2020, 10:41 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:

At least three - but no Ruby either

C
Thank goodness only three - where are the other 497? Probably in the Cayman Islands ...if you get my tax-dodging drift of the Guardian Media Group. No! Let's not go down that route - back to old cars!

At one time the DVLA had sats on models of car still taxed or on SORN - but I can find it. There are charts showing all sorts of data - which appear not to load into an Excel spreadsheet, or appear truncated and unreadable in Open Office. Anybody an idea how to find it?
Four...... and I do have a Ruby ?