The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antarctic Seven's visit to Selsey
OK. not quite the one that was packaged up and sent south but I found this one accompanied by the Gumby family on the Selsey Photo Archive. The car may be long gone, some of the people too but the cottage is still there. I have washed my knotted hankie, just need the car and a big ice cream cone to recreate the pose

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   5476082614_6da436831d_c.jpg (Size: 140.99 KB / Downloads: 464)
They all look like converted railway carriages....lovely !
I know cabin space in a chummy is a bit cramped, but...
1926 with 6" diameter brakes and probably a 3-piece bonnet.
Perhaps he drove it standing up?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Great picture - love it!
(21-10-2020, 11:20 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I know cabin space in a chummy is a bit cramped, but...
A lovely picture. If you look closely, the top of the driver's seat is just visible. After ages starting at the picture I also spotted a "Stop Me" sign on the front mudguard. The photograph is dated 1932; unfortunately the one on the website is too low in resolutioon to extract any more information, though with a bit of fiddling it's possible to see a little more clearly that the giant cone is inscribed "Antartica". If the little girl to the right is about 4-years old, she'd be 92 now.....
I worked briefly in a large telephone exch late 1960s when NZ welcomed very large numbers of UK immigrants. (Those many who forever drew comparisons with "home" gave rise to the expression "whingeing Poms") The hard case techs had "Pom" days where they wore knotted hankies and rolled their trousers half way up their legs. (It always intrigued me how instantly young English chaps fitted in. By the second day and morning tea only the accent distinguished them. Different now)
The clothing in photo hard to date. The car would not have been used for general running so could have been old at the time. Are the prices pre or post war?
i suppose the latest weatherboard is plastic although it is a pattern common here for near all houses 1890s to WW1
If the driver sat on the lids he would be in big trouble today, especially here, where he would earn a rahui (native ban, now applied to all).
Looking closely at the photo, it appears that the front part of the cooler box extends into the passenger side of the car, with the drivers seat alongside it.
Here's a similar price board from a 1930's tricycle:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/i...-254075355

This suggests the car wasn't all that old.

I love the fact that the salesman is wearing a tie and smart peaked hat, like someone from the railways.  The jolly holidaymakers thankfully have open collars !