The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPWindscreen Adjustment.
Hi Folks, I have a problem with the RP Screen locking handle.  The handle will not go over the centre point to allow it to lock.  This would appear to be due to the screen rubber not fitting very well especially at the corners where it throws itself out.
I had thought of fitting a new rubber has anybody tackled this problem and who would stock the rubbers ? Undecided
Hi
I got mine from Austin 7 Workshop, a bit of a fiddle but it cured my problems
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Thanks Barry,  Did the Rubber shape ok on the corners or did you have to have a temporary fixing there.  How did you tackle the job.?
Hi Smiley,

I don't know where in the Cotswolds you are but I have a spare new rubber that I bought for my car. I was then fortunate to get hold of an unused earlier one as these have a better profile and were pre-shaped a bit at the corners. I used that for mine so have the new one I bought spare. I'm just outside Bicester.

Geoff
I had difficulty fitting the rubber to the windscreen of my RL saloon 20 years ago and I recall that I had to pare some of the bead off the rubber with a sharp knife to get it to go round the corners.  If I was doing it again I think I would try putting some silicone oil on the rubber to make it slip along the groove better.  It's one of those jobs you hope that you only have to do once, a bit like fitting the back window into a saloon.
The one I bought for my RN was pre shaped and fitted pretty well, it’s a bit of a faff to do but I’m pleased with the results
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I’m sure there is a post, probably somewhere on the old forum, which provides some helpful guidance on fitting the rubber seal and getting the corners right.

I’ll be searching it out as I have the same job to do in a few weeks time.
I fitted the rubber on my RP using washing up liquid. Big mistake. I failed to wash some of it off the paintwork and a few weeks later it had done real damage. Be warned.
Hi Ivor, if you do manage to find the info, It would be appreciated if you could pass it on. Thanks.
Smiley.
Even with a rubber that is over 35 years old (and starting to crack around the radii) my RP screen still needs a bit of a push back in to get it to seat properly. I think replacing it for a new one might just make it worse, so I'll make do. I am now firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't mend it" camp, and I don't go out in the wet anyway. Silicone, rather than soap, definitely.

A saloon rear window is a piece of cake, providing you have at least three arms with hands on. Four are better.