The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problems never end
Not a bodge - but how does a Chummy door handle get into this state? Not only rusty, but flattened as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Threw a mildly bent fan blade away the other day, it would have straightened but not worth the risk.
(18-10-2020, 03:30 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Not a bodge as such but a repair to an insignificant issue that caused more damage than the issue it was trying to repair!

This was a definitely a bodge.
It's the rotor arm of an ML RF4 magneto, remanufactured from wood with a brass strip screwed on. 
The mag came from Australia where the climate may have been more tolerant.

Charles
Hi,
Your opinion about those please:
[Image: dsc_2739.jpg]
I would like to forget about them as it was said above but?
Thanks anyway,
Renaud
(19-10-2020, 05:10 PM)Renaud Wrote: Hi,
Your opinion about those please:

I would like to forget about them as it was said above but?
Thanks anyway,
Renaud

It's not the greatest picture but the rest of the bore looks far from good either.
I wouldn't reuse that.
In the case above the engine has even, good compression and doesn't burn oil/oil a plug so it's acceptable.

c
Well, these days I’d change it, but looking back 30 odd years yes I think I would have honed it and used it again.
Alan Fairless
(19-10-2020, 05:33 PM)Alan Wrote: Well, these days I’d change it, but looking back 30 odd years yes I think I would have honed it and used it again.

And convince yourself that the pitting retains useful oil for lubrication eh?
We've all done that.

c
I know I already asked but is there any way of filling those gouges in the cylinder wall, they can't be good and while I've got the the piston out I thought I'd like to try sorting it otherwise I'll be paranoid while driving just waiting for it to start burning oil.
I think any form of adding metal will be difficult. I’d be worried about distortion and it becoming detached at some stage. You could get just that cylinder relined - not sure how much that would cost but more than a hundred quid I’m sure. You could burn an awful lot of oil for that.
Alan Fairless
I would say that there is little doubt that those "tram line" gouges are a result of a loose gudgeon pin resulting from a broken/ loose pinch bolt. When I suffered that, a few years ago now, the broken-in-thread pinch bolt, in exiting the conrod, smashed two pieces of piston from the skirt - not a happy state of affairs. The piston was destroyed, the conrod was damaged beyond repair, all because the previous rebuilder had not used the correct, new, HT pinch bolts!!
( on the up side, I later successfully reused the gouged block in a different engine bored out to +80 thou to accommodate Renault 4 pistons)