The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hub lip seal (modern replacement)
Someone somewhere gave the pearl of wisdom that copper slip was an abrasive....I can believe this given that it contains copper. Used as meant as an anti seize on screw threads is ok but as a lubricant in any situation I would say is a no no.
An ex Austin agent mechanic told me that they soaked felt seals in glycerine before fitting them. Glycerine repels oil. If instead you use oil all you are doing is creating a wick. I have always followed his advice with success for all felt seals in A7 and 12/4. Is
I dunno how current light trucks are arranged (libraries no longer stocking service manuals) but for many "moderns" the diff oil had free access to the hubs and a single lip seal was all that contained (working on a precise surface not one worn by a felt!) Under good conditons it is remarkable how efective the seals are; many cars operate drenched in oil. However basic nitrile seals go hard with heat and age.
I did not know about viton seals. All the rear crank seals I had encountered on Javeilns were solid. So, inspired by the Seven, I fitted a slinger as "back up". It was so effective the nitrile seal soon destroyed itself from lack of oil! I had to periodically reverse fast and brake to stop the hissing noise!
I can recall soaking the felt seals in suet many years ago. I think the manual said tallow, couldn't get tallow so melted suet and used that. Didn't have any problems.
Stephen